Apple Mini Mac with Logic 7 and Final Cut Pro HD???

pisces7378

I have been a PC user of Logic Audio Pl. V 5.5.1for years. (I started with Logic when it was Logic 3). Now, I am getting into my telecomunications masters degree and I need to get an Apple computer to run the Apple Production Suite software (i.e. Logic 7, Final Cut Pro HD etc...)

Now I do not have the $3,000+ do drop on a G5 or a G4 PowerBook. But I could scrape up the $1,000 that I"d need to get one of the new Mini Macs. It'd have the following specs.
- 1.42 PowerPC G4 CPU
- 1GB DDR RAM
- ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support
- 80GB Ultra ATA1 Hard Drive
- DVD-RW/CD-RW SuperDrive
- Ports: One FireWire 400 port; two USB 2.0 ports; DVI output; VGA output (adapter included)
- Internal Bluetooth module (this is important)
- Wireless keyboard and mouse. (this is important too... stay tuned for why).

Now before anyone says anything... please take note that I am not running a professional studio. I do not do 30 simultanious recording tracks of an orchestra. I do not edit feature length blockbusters for Disney or Dreamworks.
I have a MOTU 828 mkII Firewire interface and I basically just take out a MiniDV camera and shoot news type footage which I need to dump into Final Cut Pro and cut together. A few renders here and there of some text and the fewest of few effects, like color correction.

Now here are my concerns about the Mini Mac. The connectivity is #1. I have a 250GB LaCie 7200 rpm external hard drive. It has firewire 400, firewire 800, a USB and two USB 2.0 ports. This thing has connectivity galore. But the Mini Macs only have two USB 2.0 and one Firewire 400 ports period! (plus the monitor port and ethernet and modem).
So I would add the internal bluetooth module to the Mini Mac and this would free up (at least I hope) all those ports for my MOTU 828mkII and the LaCie hard drive. [The Hard drive being connected via USB 2.0 and the MOTU 828mkII via Firewire.]

Whoops... I just went and read on the Mac website that the video card that comes in the Mini Macs doesn't even support "Motion" which is a big piece of the Production Suite software I need for my classes.

Hmmmm... So scrap the Mini Mac idea. What do you guys think about the new G5 iMac's?
I just went and "built" one online to see, and I could get a 1.8 gHz 20 inch iMac with 1 GB RAM for $1,699 with my uni student discount. Plus the $499 for the Acedimic version of the Production suite (normally $1,299)

What do you guys think would be any problems?
And just for the knowledge... what do you guys think about the Mini Macs for music production on a very scapled back level?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Back