Apple Juice on Cones

kristian

Hey guys, I was listening to my current project last night while eating a ridiculously juicy apple when I took a big bite and some of the juice squirted onto the speaker cone of my monitors. I grabbed a white cotton shirt and wiped what I could see off of the cone but I know there has to be sugars or something left on the cone. While I heard no change in sound I realise this has the potential to deteriorate the material over time. Should I moisten the tshirt and try to clean the area more or am I being paranoid?

kristian said:
I grabbed a white cotton shirt and wiped what I could see off of the cone but I know there has to be sugars or something left on the cone.

Oooh, this is really bad.......all your mixes are going to sound like the Archies now. :eek:

I'd probably leave it. There may be more risk of damage trying to clean them than any residue poses. But best is to contact the manufacturer for their advice.

kristian said:
Hey guys, I was listening to my current project last night while eating a ridiculously juicy apple when I took a big bite and some of the juice squirted onto the speaker cone of my monitors. I grabbed a white cotton shirt and wiped what I could see off of the cone but I know there has to be sugars or something left on the cone. While I heard no change in sound I realise this has the potential to deteriorate the material over time. Should I moisten the tshirt and try to clean the area more or am I being paranoid?

Myself, I wouldn't worry about it. But, if you do decide to wet the cone, MAKE SURE it is dry before you run audio through it again. Give it at least several hours to dry.

Last edited:
I'll go with no water and I'll consider using alcohol if I see any residue when I get home from work tonight.

Saliva has enzymes that are designed to break down simple sugars and what not. I don't know how they'd affect the paper in a cone. Probably not well...

VomitHatSteve said:
Saliva has enzymes that are designed to break down simple sugars and what not. I don't know how they'd affect the paper in a cone. Probably not well...

Cone licker! :eek: :D

Not a bad Idea.

If it's a paper cone I'd go weakest to strongest. Start by licking the cone and use alcohol last. Alcohol desolves alot of inks and may lighten the area of the cone you use it on.

F.S.

They're Event 20/20bas from 7 years ago. I guess that makes them polypropylene cones, not paper.

The apple was awesome.

Well, if they're poly I don't think you have to worry much about the juice killing them. I would just try water first though. The cones shouldn't be absorbent, but still be carefull.

You could put a "small" drip of water on the cone and let it sit to see if it soakes in..... I just got ASP8's and they are polly, but it's not obvious. The way the cones are textured makes them look alot like a paper based cone.

F.S.

Back