Apogee Rosetta 200 or Lavry Blue A/D/A ?

Tough call. Both units are good quality units. In either scenario though I could still see using the Big Ben. The Big Ben seems to be an excellent clock source with all sorts of distribution options.

I am to understand, that converters increase quality, and allow you to hear things in the mix better, so I'm asking which of the 2 converters would do the better job of this, or are they pretty equal?

And if the Lavry is the choice, do I need to use the B.B. or would I not need an external clock at all?

If you get the Lavry you would definitely want to use the internal clock. If you need to distribute the clock to other digital devices in your studio then get something like a Lucid CLK6 distribution unit and hook that up to the WC output of the Lavry. With a converter like the Lavry, which has an excellent internal clock, you don't need to spend the money on an external word clock generator. Put that money to better use elsewhere.

Keep reading that thread over at gearslutz, there are some issues with the audio examples that I think might be skewing the results. I suggested that he re-record the two mixes better level matched.

That thread is continuing, with a direct comparison between the Lavry and the Apogee. You might want to wait for that. So far, I'm impressed with the Big Ben though, based on those listening examples.

I think it's been 16x the whole time. He was clocking the Apogee's form the Larvy, and then clocking the Lavry from the Apogee's. I believe the next test is to use the internal clocks of the Apogee and Lavry's. That's the one I'm interested in, actually.

Back