Apogee Duet 2 vs Roland Octa Capture UA-1010

porcupinetree

Hi folks,

I'm building a new home studio based on an iMac 2.8GHz i7 processor running Logic Express 9. I record mostly rock and metal out of an Axe Fx guitar processor, and use Native Instruments Komplete 8 for my synth plugins, as well as their Studio Drummer program.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding audio interfaces. The Apogee Duet 2 seems to be a top of the line piece of gear for home studios, as well as being exclusively designed for the Mac. However, the primary limitations are that you only have 2 inputs you can use. Although I'm a one-man DIY project, I would like the option of hooking up all my gear (guitar processor, various mics etc.) so I don't have to plug and unplug each time. Plus, it's always good to have more options than less, I suppose. The Roland Octa Capture UA-1010 is in the same price range, but has a whopping 10 input/output set-up, so this is something I'm considering too. It seems to have received good press.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these interfaces, and if so could you please provide your insight?

Thanks!

I have never heard the Octa capture, but 10 ins will come in handy. Especially if you eventually start recording more than just yourself (like I did). As far as apogee goes, the pre amps and converters are top notch. So yes, it might be a pain in the ass to keep changing cables, and it may not be expandable.. but it will sound fantastic!

thats my .2

Drew

Oh, and a buddy of mine had a duet, then wanted to start recording drums, so he just bought an FP10 and used that for drums, then used the duet for everything else. So theres that

Back