Aphex Punch Factory 1404 Trim Pots

Whale Bone

Does anyone know what the two trim pots inside the Aphex Punch Factory pedal do? They are VR1 & 2. I found them while trying to clean the switches and pots. They are pretty well buried inside, so I decided they may not be intended for user tweaking, rather for calibration. The pedal uses a photo transistor (or something optical) - don't know if those need calibration to be happy or not... It's also in nightly use for a few more weeks, so I haven't tried just turning them to find out yet. Maybe in a month if no one knows. I googled and found nothing.

I do remember reading that the LED gain-reduction meter has two modes of operation - traditional growing bar of lights and a single-light mode to save batteries. I can't find a switch for selecting the mode and a variable resistor seems unlikely, but...

I wrote Aphex a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet, but maybe they still will reply.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe for adjusting the opti/photo cell. I don't think I would mess with them.
Be sure to post their reply if you get one. I have a couple questions for them
on the DI 48V phantom power.

Regarding the LEDs, I've only used mine with external PS's and it always displays
the expanding strip of LED's. I would wager that it automatically goes to the
power saving scheme when external power is NOT present, try it and see.

Yeah, I will post their reply. I also asked about the phantom. The manual says that units after Feb 2004 can use phantom. Mine's PC board is copyrighted 2004, but if I use phantom, I hear a little fuzz noise every time the LED meter changes. External 9V works fine. I thought mine displays only a single LED when using the external 9V, but I've been looking it so much for the last 2 years that I probably don't actually notice what it's really doing anymore. Have to check it again...

Got An Answer

Aphex responded to my second email, saying:

If your pedal does not say 48v by the XLR it is not designed for phantom power. If it does say 48v your unit needs to be repaired.

VR1. Is the Ratio trim pot
VR2. Is the Threshold trim pot.

The manual says the ratio is 3.7:1.

As for phantom on mine, I just got it back home, finally removed the velcro strips the previous owner had stuck on, and there on the back it says that phantom is not recommended. Mine also doesn't say 48v, so despite its being from 2004, it is apparently not supposed to work with phantom. You can, however, use pretty much any AC or DC pedal power supply (it has a Boss-style jack).

Back