apex 435

They're only $60 new from Front End Audio, so I wouldn't call $50 a very good deal. I bought one for $35 on eBay a couple of years ago, and I paid too much.

They're bog standard Chinese mics that sound kind of harsh. If you're willing to do some modding (replace a bunch of cheap capacitors), that will help quite a bit.

I have no idea how to mod a microphone. but in general its not so good? Do you know how it would compare to an at2020? cause I have one of those and I don't know if I should try something new. (i only paid $75 for the 2020)

mind you this is canadian $

my friend got one for free. seeing that he had NO use for it he made me pay for it even though i have recorded him like 8 times for free.

the at2020 BLOWS the 435 away on almost everything.

however I like the 435 on toms quite a bit, and have enjoyed it on sax sometimes when I want it to cut through a mix.

great tom mic, otherwise I dislike it highly. caps aren't the only problem with it, capsule sucks too.

look for an mlx instead.

the at2020 is great.

I wouldn't say the capsule sucks. It's just a typical Chinese capsule, probably modeled after the K67 capsule in the U87... but without all the extra filter banks needed to tame such a capsule's high frequency response. As designed, it is very bright and very harsh. With the right circuit, it could just be very bright and just a little harsh. :)

For the circuit in question, though, yeah, the capsule sucks.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, I know, but it's the best I could do for a mic I bought for $35 on eBay.

Back