Apex 190 pencil condenser mic for acoustic guitar?

jwkim

hi I'm lookin for a mic from $50-80 that would pick up decent sounds for my acoustic guitar to accompany singing.

I know the price range is low, but as long as the sound is decent enough to sound acoustic I will be satisfied (ex strumming, occasional fingerpicking)

A store nearby carries Apex 180, 190, 191 condenser mics for that price range

Has anyone ever used these mics to know if the sound is alrite?

I know there may be better used mics at that price, but I'm not a fan of getting things used since you never know if they may be on the brink of being broken...

I've got a pair of 180's that I only use for drum overhead. I just don't know if they'd have the bottom end I'd like for an acoustic guitar. The 435 is under $70, so check that out. If you can go a little higher, the ART M-One is $99 new.
I'm in Canada, and up here Long & McQuade is the large national chain, and they are the exclusive ART and Apex dealer. Apex is almost considered their house brand. You can always buy one from rental for about 1/2 of new, and ART is cheap here as well. What else? That's about as cheap as it gets, unless you'll go Behringer. I still pull out a B2 Pro that I got for nest to nothing at one of the L&M rental 'blow out' sales they do every year to make room for new rentals. A C3 is maybe $60 new.
I know these are low end mics, but I still use them once in a great while, especially if I want an almost lo-fi sound, and not that pristine digital sound.

Back