Apartment Building.. Better Acoustics?!?

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hey Guys!

Long time no post.. I been busy moving out into a new coop apartment I just bought! :D After a couple of weekend I've finally connected all of my equipment and fired up my computer for the first time. Found me the first thing I can find to play to make sure everything is working fine and guess what?... To my surprise the acoustics sounded great to me!. I mean I haven't put up any treatment or anything. But for some reason sounds seem to jump out me for some strange reason. I started to think about it and I'm wondering if its..

a) Hard Wood Floors?
b) Walls between apartments somehow acting as natural traps?
c) Maybe I'm just hearing things?

Anyway, the only slight problem I have is with a little flutter in the room, but besides that I'm totally excited about the sound in the room.

Anyone ever experience something like this!?!?

You may not notice any real problems in your room but, I bet you could tell a difference (for the better) if you went ahead and treated it. No room should be without some bass trapping and reflection absorbers.

My 2 cents.

chris-from-ky said:
You may not notice any real problems in your room but, I bet you could tell a difference (for the better) if you went ahead and treated it. No room should be without some bass trapping and reflection absorbers.

My 2 cents.

I wont argue with you there. My point is however, the room I'm in now somehow acoustically sounds better than the room I was in before which had some room treatment in it. Which like I said kind of shocked me. But I will be looking into finally building me some traps very very soon! :D

scarboro78 said:
My point is however, the room I'm in now somehow acoustically sounds better than the room I was in before which had some room treatment in it.
I see what your saying and that's good...
scarboro78 said:
But I will be looking into finally building me some traps very very soon! :D
You understand the importance of treatment and the benefit of course will be an even better sounding room than what you now have. Congrats!

chris-from-ky said:
I see what your saying and that's good...

You understand the importance of treatment and the benefit of course will be an even better sounding room than what you now have. Congrats!

Thank you sir! Once again I'm really excited to see how well the room will sound after I've put up a few traps around the room.

Do you think the hard wood floors has anything to do with the improvement in sound? I used to have carpet in my last room.

The more reflective surfaces in your space, the more "busy" the sound is bouncing around in there which may give the appearence of 'better" sonics but, not necessarily. I'd keep the hard wood floors and if I needed to I'd treat theceilings before I touched the floors. Use area rugs when necessary. That's more for cosmetic protection than sound enhancement.

Are your ceilings 8' high? If so I'd say space 2" OC 703 or 705 4" down from the ceiling. Or build some of the Ethan Winer traps up there. Might be costly but If your room sounds this good already, then you will be set. Man I wish I had hardwood floors!

Lucky!

Ben

Back