Aparment project studio acoustic treating

meowadishi

My wife and I just moved into this aparment. Its all block construction with drywall on the interior walls and tile floors.

Im looking for ways to acoustically tune this room to kill some reflections and what not. I just dont want to drop alot of time/money into a place that I am not going to be living too long. I mean...its an aparment.

Any suggestions on cheap material and non destructive procedures would be great. You know. Besides getting my own place. :laughings:

Last edited:
What instruments are you going to be recording. I ask because if your just doing something like vocals you may want a more dead space than if you are doing acoustic guitar. However, if I were you I would start by throwing down some area rugs. Those tiles are going to be super reflective and give you a lot of trouble if you leave them untamed. Also, check out any local stores and see if they have moving blankets. These are good for cutting down on the higher frequencies and flutter echos. You could also drop a few hundred bucks and make some DIY bass traps. These are essential because if you take too much of the high frequencies out of the room and leave all the standing waves (lower frequencies) the room will sound very boxy which will really hurt your recordings. You will compensate for what you think is not there while it really is. What are the dimensions of the room you are trying to record in. The shape and size can significantly alter your sound due to room modes.

gobos huh? What is funny is that what you just described I was thinking about doing in my head. My plan is to use either fabric that has a nice pattern or is a nice color. That way they are some what look nice.

Probably going to put a thin back on it to keep the fiberglass inside. My wife has super sensitive skin.

What instruments are you going to be recording. I ask because if your just doing something like vocals you may want a more dead space than if you are doing acoustic guitar. However, if I were you I would start by throwing down some area rugs. Those tiles are going to be super reflective and give you a lot of trouble if you leave them untamed. Also, check out any local stores and see if they have moving blankets. These are good for cutting down on the higher frequencies and flutter echos. You could also drop a few hundred bucks and make some DIY bass traps. These are essential because if you take too much of the high frequencies out of the room and leave all the standing waves (lower frequencies) the room will sound very boxy which will really hurt your recordings. You will compensate for what you think is not there while it really is. What are the dimensions of the room you are trying to record in. The shape and size can significantly alter your sound due to room modes.

I am planing on doing acoustic guitar and vocals in there. Maybe low volume electric guitar stuff, you know. During the day. :D Plus mixing of a my brother inlaws band.

Yes on the rug too. We have been looking for something we like. You know what. I think I have one in storage!

Back