anyway to connect two tube amps to one cab

daav

Flailing up a storm.
I know this is death normally, but is there some sort of switch that will do this?

I don't mind siwtching out some plugs/cables, but i am worried that one day i will forget and try to play through the unloaded amp.

Ideally, i would like to go trhgouh my pedals, then to a A/B/Y box, then to two heads, then to one cabinet; or more specifically, a 1x12 that has an output to a second 1x12.

Can this be done?

daav

I don't see why you couldn't build something that would work. You'd just have to ensure that whichever amp is not driving the speaker(s) has an appropriate load.

There are stereo power amps that are built to do this - the Randall RT 2/50 is one example.

Radial makes a whole slew of great, useful pedals for things like this. It looks like the Headbone is what you're after. They make different models depending on what mixture of tube or solid-state amps you're switching between. Here are the different models on Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=radial+headbone

See if any of those do what you're after.

Very nice! had no idea those were around. Little spendy, but it does what i want. Thanks!

Daav

I knew a guy who played through two blue voodoo heads into 1 stereo 4x12 cab.He had one amp set up for his leads and the other for his rythm.He would have two mics on the cab.You could get a 2x12 and wire it stereo and add an A/B switch to chage between amps.If you go from one cab into another that would put the cabs in series and increase your ohm load.Running in stereo each ohm load would be seperate to each amp going into it.

I knew a guy who played through two blue voodoo heads into 1 stereo 4x12 cab.He had one amp set up for his leads and the other for his rythm.He would have two mics on the cab.You could get a 2x12 and wire it stereo and add an A/B switch to chage between amps.If you go from one cab into another that would put the cabs in series and increase your ohm load.Running in stereo each ohm load would be seperate to each amp going into it.

Nice thought, and i even considered the stereo 4X12 option, but i really just want a 2X12, this is for my home studio/jam space and i don't need or have room for a 4X 12 (yet!).

Daav

Just so long as you realize that you absolutely cannot connect the outputs of two tube amplifiers to the same speaker(s) at the same time, even if one of them is off.

Back