ANything else I need?

jsonting

Hi guys, I'm a newbie around here. I started recording when i was 14 and back at that time i was using win98 and cool edit pro. Well, as a kid, i don't really have any equipment at all.
But now, going up 21 and i have some of the equipments with me. One of my precious one is the TOneport UX2. But still, i can see i'm short of some equipments.

First, a vocal mic
Second, a monitor speaker.

That's what i've think i'm short of, that why i'm asking if i missed something out here.:p

I'm on a tight budget too, and i'm planning to buy equipments for my music study this year. Well, as i said in tight budget, i could only buy things through priority first, and bang for the buck.

I'm still considering which one to get first, monitor or vocal mic. I'm using Altec's VS4121 as my monitor which i know it's completely not a suitable choice for it, haha.

ANyway, any help to build my rigs is very much appreciated. :D

id get the mic first.

The monitors are going to be to get a proper mix but i think the mic will give you something to mix in the first place.

I had some cheap speakers back in the day and still could get a decent mix.

I own the non usb one...

And I'd say it is totally "bang for the buck." Sleek styling and a wealth of options for setting them up are my favorites about it. It offers tons of controls to tailor to your mixing space, including a corner setting. Sleek, affordable, and very convenient. I like my m1active 520's. Also, they have a cool blue led that turns red when clipping. Hope this "review" is helpful.
James

it depends on what exactly you record, which is?

and you could go with two mics, if you want to play the Behringer-chance game, but a better option may be one versatile mic. Something like a shure sm57 which many have used with decent to great success on several different applications.

Also...

great mics and great monitors are important, but not substitues for experience and knowledge. The ultimate thing that's "missing" may be found through some thorough reading combined with trial and error.

a lot of ppl is using sm57. But, it's a dynamic mic right? and dynamic mics are better to loud vocals right?
So a condenser should be my choice i guess.. And wat do you mean by Behringer chance?

A Condenser mic means you will need an interface or mixer with phantom power. A dynamic mic will not need it.

a lot of ppl is using sm57. But, it's a dynamic mic right? and dynamic mics are better to loud vocals right?
So a condenser should be my choice i guess.. And wat do you mean by Behringer chance?

An SM57 is a versatile mike, and used very widely. You won't be disadvantaged by getting one. However, they are not outstanding mikes, and there are other choices available. Condenser mikes are more sensitive than dynamic mikes, and were I to start out again, that's what I would look at.

The reference to "Behringer chance" was a dig at Behringer, a budget brand that attracts a lot of criticism, most of it unwarranted. Behringer is not a lot different to any other budget brands and exhibits the problems you often encounter with being budget. If you are just starting out, Behringer (or its equivalents) is not a bad way to go, because you won't be investing a lot to get pretty good value for money. If it breaks, it breaks . . . you get another or go further up the recording food chain.

Also don't forget about the GLS ES-57 clone. Many prefer it over a real 57. I love using mine. At $30 it's a steal.

A Condenser mic means you will need an interface or mixer with phantom power. A dynamic mic will not need it.

Yeah, i got phantom power on my UX-2 man.
Well, looks like i'm getting a mic first. Though the review on that alesis monitor is tempting, haha:D

But i"m still choosing in between Behringer's C-3 and Studio Project's B1. What do you guys think?

I didn't mean to totally bash behringer...

I've just read alot about other people having problems with them, I didn't have any luck with the little Behringer mixer I had, but I know some who use their amps and mics and have little problem. I thought he said he was getting both of those mics, so I just suggested a workhorse mic that would be versatile because that seemed like what he wanted. Gecko you brought up some good points though. Also I know that the school I went to used alot of Behringer rack units because they were so cheap they could get alot of them... when they broke they bought another.
I can't recommend either of the mics you are choosing between only because I haven't used them, but there does seem to be more information online for the B1.
Good luck.

Anything Behringer is just, eh. :rolleyes:

Hey jsonting . . . see what I mean?

There is a phenomenum that probably has a proper name, but I call it "prescribed association".

It works like this:

Me: "Have you noticed how red cars always seem to come in clumps?"

You: "No, I can't say that I have."

Next time you are driving, you watch the cars coming the other way. Sure enough, red cars do seem to appear in a kind of convoy.

So we meet again:

You: "You were right! I was driving and I did notice how red cars travel together."

What has happened here is that I've drawn your attention to something which you now notice. The problem is, I could have said white cars or green cars or whatever, and you would have observed exactly the same thing. However, other coloured clumps of cars are ignored because of the predisposition I've induced in you to observe one in particular.

This is exactly what is happening with Behringer.

I'll repeat what I said before:

Behringer is a budget brand and is excellent value for money. So are other budget brands: Alto, JTC, whatever. Because it is a budget brand, you get what you pay for. All budget brands are budget because they are mass produced cheaply (mostly in China). They all suffer the problems associated with that production method, with none being any better or worse than the other.

They are worthwhile investments because you don't lose heavily if something goes wrong.

Other brands are not immune to manufacturing faults. I've had good and bad experiences with Behringer, Roland, Mackie, Rode, and others. I condemn none because of this. However, I do get vastly more annoyed when an expensive piece of equipment goes belly up. Because I pay a premium price, I expect a premium performance.

But do not expect a Behringer Graphic EQ to perform like, or last as long as, a Klark Technik. That's being unrealistic.

Back