Anyone Watching The Beatles:Get Back?

Anybody have the 1st episode DVR'd?

What makes George quit the band? I heard that Paul tells him 'we only need one guitar' and he quits, or something.

Anybody have the 1st episode DVR'd?

What makes George quit the band? I heard that Paul tells him 'we only need one guitar' and he quits, or something.
I remember reading once at one time George spent a lot of time doing his house or houses up and didn't turn up for recording sessions. Dunno. But maybe he got an earful and took the hump?

Seemed to me Paul was trying to tell George what to play in a particular song. George made a comment that he doesn’t do “that.” Clapton does that, and if he wanted that style he should get Eric.

At least that’s my recollection. And it did seem this had been building up prior to that incident. I got the feeling George was getting tired of Paul’s bossiness. Maybe they all were, but John was into his Yoko thing and didn’t really give a shit, and Ringo just rolled with the punches.

I was also a bit disappointed that there were two private, band-only meetings with George afterwards that convinced him to come back, but it was never revealed what was discussed or how they resolved it.

In Episode 1, George quits after an exchange with Paul... George is trying to work out his parts and Paul is basically telling him "Don't play like that... play like this... if you play like that you'll just make John's guitar part not heard..." shortly after George gets up and leaves. Not sure if this is the actual events or if this was stitched together or not as a lot of the audio isn't always matching the video...

What makes George quit the band?
According to Paul McCartney's authorized biography, "Many Years From Now" by Miles, it was actually a "blazing argument between George and John just before lunch on January 10 that caused George to leave. 'See you round the clubs,' he told the others before leaving the studio and driving home..."

The details of the argument weren't revealed. There was a lot of tension between George and John. There was tension on all fronts {let's not forget, Ringo had left the band during the making of the White album ~ a time that John considered to have been the real breaking up of the band} but particularly with those two. John had been particularly savage over the Maharishi, someone George believed in and wanted to influence the band with {he got angry in India when Paul wanted the band to discuss the direction of the next album, saying they were there to meditate, not be Beatles} and George was pretty dismissive of Yoko, telling John he'd heard she was no good, from his New York Dylanesque mates. It's quite interesting, seeing the minimal involvement John had in a number of George's songs from 1966 through to when the Abbey Road sessions began, or the times John's contributions were cut from George's songs or when George brought in Eric Clapton to play on "While my guitar gently weeps." It's John that's sidelined, as you couldn't sideline Paul and Ringo as the bass and drums.

There has been so much focus on the angst between John and Paul or George and Paul, that the John/George axis has been majorly overlooked. In Mark Lewisohn's "The complete Beatles recording sessions" when talking of the "Abbey Road" sessions, he enters, "One member of the studio personnel recalls a very bitter row between John & George during the time that Yoko was attending sessions in her double bed. 'She got up and took a digestive biscuit off the top of George's Leslie speaker cabinet. George saw this from the control room window and got into a big argument with John. The biscuit thing was soon forgotten; it seemed to me that they just wanted an excuse to argue, to air their pent-up resentments.'" Despite their coming together when Paul took them to court, there remained tensions between them throughout the 70s and even up to John's death. May Pang spells out some in her book ~ as does John in that Playboy interview in 1980, as well as other things he said over the years. I think it stemmed from George's embracing of all things Indian back in 1966; I get the impression that John was a little jealous because he was looking for something in his life away from the Beatles, whereas George had found it. Obviously, it's more nuanced than that, but that was its basis.

Music changed after they had split. The hippy days and Mersey Beat days were all gone
Music was changing before they came on the scene. It changed numerous times while they were on the scene. The Hippy era of peace and love was all but gone before they were in the studio being filmed by Michael Lindsay Hogg in January '69, having been replaced by something altogether more practical....and violent. Mersey Beat was over before the Hippy era even began.
So yes, music changed after they had split. Change is in the DNA of the arts, no matter who is the influential innovator of a particular time.
In the UK it moved into Tamla Motown, Soul, Prog rock and Glam rock. The Beatles may have just fell by the wayside with all that going on
The Beatles were ruthlessly competitive and had seen off big time competition all through their career. They saw off the competition in Hamburg when they were unknown. They saw off the Liverpool groups. They saw off Cliff. They saw off the Hollies, the Animals and the Dave Clark 5. Then they competed with Dylan, the Byrds, the Stones, the Who and the Kinks, Stax and Motown. And saw them off. They competed with the Mothers of Invention, Hendrix and Cream, Pink Floyd and the entire psychedelic movement and thrashed it. They saw off the British blues boom. They pit their wits against country rock. Etc, etc, etc. To the extent that they were revered by almost all wings of the competition. They did this because they liked the music of the competition and were forever incorporating different elements of the competition into their music. Ska. Reggae. Folk. Orchestral. The avant~garde. Ragas. Brass band. Music hall. Mellotrons. Sitars and dilrubas. Strings and brass. Timpani. Backwards recording. Synthesizers. Etc, etc, etc. Roger Daltrey called the Who "the original Japanese thinking machine ¬> you invent it, we'll copy it."
Sorry Roger, the Beatles beat you to it and continued to beat you at it. They pioneered as well as copied new studio techniques and hated repeating themselves. Even as they broke up, their last album, "Abbey Road", showed them doing a Who {A Quick one and Tommy} with their version, which was the medley.
They saw off competition even when they no longer existed ! 😂
A lot of the 60's groups were quickly forgotten in the early 70's
Equally though, a lot of them {Bowie, Bolan, the Who, the Stones, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, [Small] Faces, Free, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkel, Marvin Gaye, Fleetwood Mac, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, to name but a few} weren't.
After that we had Punk, Disco and New Wave. Again would they have fitted into the later part of the 70's?
Punk was at its zenith in 1977. Wings were that year's Christmas no.1 with "Mull of Kintyre", which was the first single to sell 2 million UK copies. That same year, the rock press sparked a frenzy by claiming that Klaatu's debut LP was a secretly reunited Beatles. Two years later, I had a music magazine that put out a request for John to stop talking peace with Yoko and to start making great rock'n'roll records again. And just as I got into the Beatles in the summer of '76, the papers here were full of front page headlines about them reuniting. I haven't seen it since, but I distinctly remember either the Sun or the Mirror having a headline that said something like, "Yeah ! Yeah ! Yeah !" about John, Paul and Ringo saying they'd play together again. The by-line was "It's all up to you, George." In that 1980 Playboy interview, John discusses the million + dollar offer of Sid Bernstein for the band to reunite.
Yeah, I think the Beatles would have fitted into the latter part of the 70s. But I'm awfully glad they weren't an active band by then.

Equally though, a lot of them {Bowie, Bolan, the Who, the Stones, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, [Small] Faces, Free, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkel, Marvin Gaye, Fleetwood Mac, Procul Harum, Ten Years After, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, to name but a few} weren't.
In the 70's Bowie changed several times to suit. Yes.

Bolan was finished by 74. No.

The Who did hardly anything except the stuff taken from Tommy. No.

The Stones ......Yes, they were consistent through the 70's Yes.

Diana ross changed and moved from soul to disco. Yes.

Stevie Wonder a master of music adaptation. Yes.

Elton was really 70's and not 60's. Yes.

The Kinks never did much in 70's except argue. No.

Led Zep disappeared regards general public. No.

Faces split in 74, then it was Rod Stewart and Ronnie Lane but he got ill. No.

Clapton had I think two hits through 70's. No.

Pink Floyd disappeared between 73 and 79. No.

Fleetwood Mac changed several times. Yes.

Procol Harem had one hit in the 70's in 75. No.

Last edited:
Punk was at its zenith in 1977. Wings were that year's Christmas no.1 with "Mull of Kintyre", which was the first single to sell 2 million UK copies. That same year, the rock press sparked a frenzy by claiming that Klaatu's debut LP was a secretly reunited Beatles. Two years later, I had a music magazine that put out a request for John to stop talking peace with Yoko and to start making great rock'n'roll records again. And just as I got into the Beatles in the summer of '76, the papers here were full of front page headlines about them reuniting. I haven't seen it since, but I distinctly remember either the Sun or the Mirror having a headline that said something like, "Yeah ! Yeah ! Yeah !" about John, Paul and Ringo saying they'd play together again. The by-line was "It's all up to you, George." In that 1980 Playboy interview, John discusses the million + dollar offer of Sid Bernstein for the band to reunite.
Yeah, I think the Beatles would have fitted into the latter part of the 70s. But I'm awfully glad they weren't an active band by then.
Wings was totally different than the Beatles.

After Imagine anything from John Lennon was not Beatle music.

Ringo was acting and generally having fun with Moon and others.

George was still looking for his god.

Martin was in it, but played a very minor role. In fact, Glyn Johns was more prominent
Three very interesting quotes from George Martin about the "Let it be" film and album:
"Let it be was a miserable experience and I never thought that we would get back together again"

"Let it be was a very unhappy album and when we were recording that, I thought it was the end of everything because everybody was at each other's throats, the boys were all warring amongst each other, nobody would make any decisions...."

"We'd do 60 different takes of something. On the 61st take, John would say 'How was that one George ?' I'd say 'John, I honestly don't know.' 'You're no fucking good then, are you ?' he'd say. That was the general atmosphere.

On the other hand, although Glyn Johns says of Let it be, that it was "something of a fiasco" and "There was a lot of friction in the band when I worked with them, he also, way back in 1981 mentions that there was lots of footage left out that showed the band mucking about and having laughs. In 1996, I used to buy records a lot in Camden Town and there was this guy there that used to sell 180-minute VHS bootlegs of Let it be out-takes. He had literally stacks of them and they were all different. It was stuff that hadn't made it into the film.

I have long seen a straight line from Magical Mystery Tour {the film}, which George and John didn't really want to do, through "Across the universe" which John felt Paul sabotaged and felt he was psychologically destroyed and wasn't being supported, through the events of India bleeding right into the White album and carrying on in earnest into "Get Back/Let it be." It's a very followable story.

I was a huge Beatles fan growing up, including all the drama and juxtaposition between John and Paul....Paul-"It's getting better all the time"....John, "Couldn't get much worse". Now it's sort of nostalgia. Which I dig, in doses. I'll see the film series at some point.

I was sort of the popular opinion that Paul was being bossy and telling George what to play. But I think in reality Paul was just trying to keep things going. Now, I don't think Paul was telling George what to play, he was suggesting that, whatever the song they were working on, let's work through the song, the structure or whatever, then we can add embellishments. George was jumping the gun, noodling and shit. I mean, you gotta admit the noodling and embellishments will make much more sense in the context of the song once the song is heard in full. I think George had been hanging with The Band boys at Big Pink, a much more relaxed atmosphere, and with possibly the exception Robbie Robertson, less complicated by egos.

Music was changing before they came on the scene. It changed numerous times while they were on the scene. The Hippy era of peace and love was all but gone before they were in the studio being filmed by Michael Lindsay Hogg in January '69, having been replaced by something altogether more practical....and violent. Mersey Beat was over before the Hippy era even began.
So yes, music changed after they had split. Change is in the DNA of the arts, no matter who is the influential innovator of a particular time.
I think in the 70's there were lots more changes or maybe different types of music which became popular. More so than the 60's because I think it evolved in the 70's from the basics of what was before.

In the 70's I remember all being popular to some degree............... Prog Rock 71-73, Psychedelic 71-74, Glam Rock 73-75, Folk Revival 71-73, Ska revival 74 onwards, Northern Soul 74-75, Punk 76-77, New Wave 79, Electro Pop 75, Disco 74-80, Rock n' Roll Revival 74. As well as general Rock, Pop, Soul, Country, Reggae and Motown.

All of these types of music went on for a year or more in the UK at least. I don't mean small localised. These music genre's were big and record buying was huge in the 70's.

In the 70's Bowie changed several times to suit. Yes.

Bolan was finished by 74. No.

The Who did hardly anything except the stuff taken from Tommy. No.

The Stones ......Yes, they were consistent through the 70's Yes.

Diana ross changed and moved from soul to disco. Yes.

Stevie Wonder a master of music adaptation. Yes.

Elton was really 70's and not 60's. Yes.

The Kinks never did much in 70's except argue. No.

Led Zep disappeared regards general public. No.

Faces split in 74, then it was Rod Stewart and Ronnie Lane but he got ill. No.

Clapton had I think two hits through 70's. No.

Pink Floyd disappeared between 73 and 79. No.

Fleetwood Mac changed several times. Yes.

Procol Harem had one hit in the 70's in 75. No.
Your point was that a lot of 60s artists were quickly forgotten in the early 70s. Mine was that equally, tons were not. You seem to gauge everyone you mention by their showing in the UK pop singles charts. What the 1970s showed was that you could be a huge selling band {Zeppelin, Purple, Floyd} in the album stakes or selling out gigs wherever you played and yet, the general, singles-hearing public might not be aware of you. By the start of the 70s, albums were outselling singles. None of the people I mentioned were quickly forgotten in the early 70s.
Bolan may have been out of the game by '74 but from '71 to '73 he was the hottest pop act in the UK. And he was a very 60s artist previously.

Elton John was a sessionist in the 60s and his first album was in the 60s.

The Who did hardly anything except stuff taken from "Tommy" ? Well OK, let's forget "Live at Leeds" and "Quadrophenia", massive tours and the gig at Charlton's football ground.

The Kinks were hardly forgotten in the early 70s {Lola, Muswell Hillbillies}.

You need to go and read about Procul Harum in the early 70s. They had "hits" both in the singles and album charts right up until 1975. It was the latter 70s that they fell off.

Pink Floyd disappeared between '73 and '79 ? Have you not heard of "Wish you were here" and "Animals" ? and the famous floating pig over Battersea ?

Zeppelin were arguably at their most powerful in the early 70s, especially after the 4th album.

Clapton was still revered as a guitarist in the early 70s. He still is now !

The Faces may have been done and dusted by '74, but that was almost 5 years into the 70s. And I'd forgotten about Rod Stewart, another carry-over from the 60s.
Wings was totally different than the Beatles.

After Imagine anything from John Lennon was not Beatle music.
Wings were different but that's kind of missing the point. In the midst of Punk's height, a maudlin ex-Beatle utterly outsold anything punky with a piece of saccharin. In other words, it didn't really matter what the going concern was, the music, even of an ex~Beatle garnered enough interest. It would always be relevant to somebody.
And yes, Lennon's post break up music wasn't Beatle music. None of their solo stuff was, although it should be remembered that much of the early solo stuff, certainly of Paul and in particular George, had actually seen their genesis as songs for the Beatles.

But my points also missed which is my fault (apologies). Fans buy albums. The public buy singles. So a groups existence is what people get to hear about and as you know that in those days was Radio 1 and TOTP.

So my posts above are all on that basis. There were lots of bands who were big and wealthy from their album sales and also big in other countries 'other' than their own, the UK. But the great unwashed of blighty never got to here of this and that is what really matters as regards whether you are relevant or not.......to them!

Examples.............

Was Bolan really a 60's act? His songs didnt get in the top 30 in the 60's.

Do we base Procol Harem as a 70's act because they had a one and only hit with the brilliant 'Pandoras Box'? Then we must class The Kinks as an 80's act for their equally great hit 'Come Dancing'. No, I think these are just 'one offs' and not part of any musical success when they were successful whatever era that was.

Last edited:
According to Paul McCartney's authorized biography, "Many Years F..........
Grim , I was trying to watch that Beatles Get Back special. I caught the 3 rd Episode, and the 2 nd. Do they show him walking out? What happens? I'm picturing them arguing and storming out...Something..The guy who uploaded it to the Onedrive already had deleted episode 1.

I cannot get Disney + ...I'll only watch 'Hey Jessay'

To me the 2nd and 3 rd episodes didn't have a lot of material or story. The 3rd has the roof concert in nice quality. The 2nd shows some of Paul's process, I found interesting. So the 1st has to contain the lead up to, and the, break up. The 2nd George is already back and jamming.

Last edited:
So the 1st has to contain the lead up to, and the, break up. The 2nd George is already back and jamming.
George leaves at the end of the 1st episode. In fact, the very end of the episode is an overvoice saying “the Beatles went to George’s house the following day for a band-only meeting. It did not go well.”

Look at John's grubby paws. hahahh. CGI..CGI.. Look at them dirty things. Was he gardening? Picking truffles out his butt?Screenshot 2021-12-07 091706.jpg

Back