anyone want a challenge? go ahead, mod my Squier Strat :)

greenbaysucks

yeah, yeah, i know: "not worth it, get a new guitar." i'll be doing a custom Warmoth probably later this year, right now my concern lays with the Beast i already have. tuning is my #1 concern.

thoughts on upgrades so far to give you an idea:
*Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell OR Tone Zone as only pickup (i'm not going to buy 2 for this P.O.S.)
*new bridge/nut/tuners (whatever combination will work)

basically, i'm just in the dark on what, if anything, will give me immaculate tuning on this guitar. is a stable tuning setup possible with this cheap "wood," or is it an unachievable dream? i've got money, that's not an issue, but if i can purchase materials for a new guitar for $650 i don't really want to spend anywhere near that to fix this. $150-200 would be the max on this thing, and that's a stretch.....

....anyone care to make an attempt? i'm open to any suggestions. i'm more comfortable on this guitar than most i've ever played, so i'd prefer to keep it as the back-up even when i upgrade.

I popped some Fender Strat tuners (took a little work) and a preasembled Carvin pickup/pickguard assembly for my Squire strat and it has gone from being "that cheapo Squier" to one of my favorite guitars (and it has been praised for its sound by lots of folks many times). The pickups I got were the Carvin AG2R assembly (http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=AG1W&CID=GTR/K). It's similar to the one in the picture there except it has an extremely nice humbucker with coil split at the bridge. It creates a wicked sound that's somewhere between a hot strat and a tele, and I love it. I hands-down reccomend it for you, and it won't cost you that much either, and it's a pretty easy installation (though it wasn't carved out for my bridge correctly, and I had to file down the pickguard a little).

Also, changing the tuners didn't cost much and helped a lot in the tuning process. Changing the nut is a bitch, but Carvin sells some graphite nuts (though you'll have to file 'em yourself, which, from my understanding, is pretty much what you have to do no matter what). I didn't bother with the bridge, but I don't really use the vibrerto too much on mine so I don't worry about the tuning problems caused by it.

I should additionally mention that the Squier I used was a Squier standard from 1995. If yours is anything less than a standard, like say, a Bullet, then the wood is probably too cheap and I wouldn't even bother with it. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the wood and construction in the standard's has gotten progressively worse through the years.

Oh yeah, and I agree about the comfert thing. That maple neck is still one of my favorites.

i dont understand modding it...i mean, id keep it for sentimental value...but get a new one man...i dunno mabe its just me, i just happen to dislike squires, its just an opinion...modding can only take a guitar so far though...eventually you'll reach the limit to where youve bought another guitar, and as im sitting here snacking on easter candy i cant help but think about how after you have modded up your squire you could have bought 1/3 of a real strat

not trying to sound pissy,
~sjj

I got a Squier Bullet a couple of months ago brand new, $90. :) It's a hardtail so I don't have to worry about the whammy going out of tune. I put in a string through bridge, new tuners, and a set of Mighty Mite alnico pups. It sounds great. The luthier did a nut job and said it didn't need any fretwork so I'll see how that turned out later this week. I'll second that Carvin pickgaurd. I'd've gone that route but I've already got a Carvin and wanted to have another sound.

So your #1 concern is tuning? WHat is the problem now? Is it a fixed bridge or the standard fender tremolo?

If you plan on using the factory tremolo......I mean really using it for whammy action, you can for get about it staying in tune, it's just not going to happen. Now if you stick with the factory trem bridge, but throw away the trem arm, then staying in tune is an acheivable goal.

1.) How many springs are atached to the plate on the back of the guitar (under cover) There are postions for 5. THere is usually 3 installed. You can get by with three, but if you put 5 in there and suck the plate down to the body of the guitar the bridge will pretty much be "rock solid"......that's one problem down.

2.) Tuners (Machine heads) You can get into a decent set of these for cheap: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=C6C&CID=GTR/K

3.) Nut, not as critical on tuning as one might think, but none the less, a crutial point. My suggestion is to do the first two mods which will but under 50 bucks, then if you're still having problems find a good guitar shop and have them make you a nut.....it should only cost you about 25-35 bucks, and that should include a set up as well. Once the set up is done (Has the guitar been set up yet?) they will be able to tell you any other problems you may or may not have with your fretts and neck.

4.) Pickups - If your pickups are raised to high, they can cause some tuning problems due to the magnetic pull on the strings. they should be no closer than 3/16" from the strings. Different pickups will definantly change the sound, but if tuning is you main issue right now, then fix that and move on from there.

WHere is St.Charles IL? At first I thought you ment St.Charles MO., which is very close to St.Louis in which there are quite a few good guitar techs/shops around.

Do you know how to do a set up? (Adjust neck for proper relief/bow, set intonation?) if not, it's not very hard. You should be able to find a book at a local book shop that has detailed instructions......these basic things will save you money in the long run.

Other causes of tuning problems could be: String action is too high, Intonation is way out (Mostly noticable on the higher register / farther up the neck). Nut is too high, or not cut deep enough causing the notes to go too sharp even for your typical open tuning/5th frett tuning.

Hope some of this helps.

Rick

my squiers from like 91. and it says on it in big letter, fender, just like normal looking strats, then on the tip of the head it says squier series. but it sounds really good and looks nice.

Yeah, sounds like a standard Squier so the wood and basic quality shouldn't be too bad. The Carvin pickups should fit in nicely, and if you used the preassembled kit I mentioned you just have to soder two wires to the input jack and you're good to go.

mine = Squier Affinity, 2001.

i'm assuming one of the problems now is the trem bridge. 3 springs in there now on the bridge, i know i have a 4th, can probably get a 5th easily. i don't use the whammy at all, so that won't be a loss. as for the nut, i was looking at the Earvana, but should i just get another standard guitar nut put in?

i can do a setup for the most part, but i've never had any comparison to another person setting up my guitar, so really i could've been doing it wrong or halfassed every time :) i've filed the nut myself, after i switched to GHS Boomers (TNT 10-52) a couple of years ago, and i may have "overshaved" a little on the sides, so-to-speak.

St. Charles = Chicago West Suburbs, i've got a couple shops near me with really nice owners/operators that'll do setups and guitar checks for like $15.

i dont understand modding it...

the all-important back-up to my new guitar whenever i order it, of course. as long as i have it, i want it to function at the highest possible level. letting it sit there and gather dust doesn't do much good for anyone, so i figure, why not make this into a project and give this thing new life? hell, if i'm feeling saucy enough, i just may attempt to install the pickup myself; it's just for fun. i dont have much else to do besides drum in a band and work (oh yeah, school, but that's not important).

Reactions: apl
The nut can tremendously affect tuning. If the slots are a too tight the strings can bind up and remain sharp after a bend. Make sure the slots are clean. A poorly cut nut can also lead to intonation problems.

Tuners will definitely help you keep it in tune, but replacing cheap tuners with cheap tuners will leave you with cheap tuners. You don't need to go nuts with Waverly's or anything, but make sure they are decent. Also make sure they will fit your guitar. Several different sizes out there.

One major problem that lower end guitars seem to suffer is the quality of the neck wood. If the neck is floppy or loose, you're going to have trouble keeping the thing in tune. Does the neck move around at all? Front to back or left to right?

Some folks really like these Bill Lawrence pickups

I happen to like some of the Carvin pickups I have tried on friends and shop guitars but have had enough noise problems that I am considering replacing my single coils with these noisefree pickups from Bill Lawrence. They have a few models for different sounds and also make standard humbuckers. Not too bad a price either compared to some of the others out there. Do not confuse these with the phony "lawrence" pickups that were around everywhere a few years back, which were pretty crappy.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/280.htm

You might consider GraphTech bridge saddles and graphite string tree(s) to help with your tuning problems. I put the Ferraglides on my American Strat because I wanted to keep the chrome bridge look. The original black GraphTech saddles are cheaper (but all black). You can get slightly better deals on Ebay.

I was having tuning problems with my Strat after using the tremolo. I have the bridge tightened so that it's flush with the body (I can only dive with the trem) and it has 3 springs (I don't like the feel of more springs). After the GraphTech saddles and string tree, I don't really have tuning problems anymore (unless I get CRAZY on the trem). I also put graphite powder in the string slots on the nut when changing strings (a graphite nut will help with tuning problems also).

Good Luck! Mod'ing guitars is fun.

Moding a Squire is one of the best values IMO, mine is probably my fave or 5 others guitars, some worth over a grand.
For tuning you'll have to change the tuners and nut at the very least. Also important but overlooked is the little "trees" that hold the top 4 strings down on the peghead. Ditch those and get the kind with rollers. If you tune and you hear the "pinging" that means there's too much friction somewhere. For the bridge, either get more/stronger springs, or screw the plate that holds the springs to the body in tighter, to stretch the springs out more

Most Squire strats come with odd pickguards where the pickup holes are too small, so you probably won't be able to just drop in pickups, you'll most likely have to get a new pickguard too, the screw holes may not line up either. You'll have to file and drill. The volume pot could stand to be swapped out for a 1Meg too. I'd switch out the 5 way switch too, careful though, because Squires are thinner bodied, the route is a little shallower too, so not all 5 ways will fit.
Loads more you could do, but those things will get you a very nice guitar.

i really meant in terms of that type as opposed to location of purchase.

UNOFFICIAL DECISIONS BASED ON THIS THREAD (from top-bottom on guitar), so try and stop me before i do anything stupid:
*Fender Schaller locking tuners
*Earvana nut (will also supposedly improve playability on the low frets, which i need)
*???? bridge

Back