Anyone wanna help me mix this rap remix?

my mix

here's my mix, let me know what you think...

I mixed this in Cubase 7.5 using various plug in's. For the intro I used the vinyl emulator 'grungelizer' plug in to get a lo-fi effect whilst adding some reverb to make it sound further back. The other plug in's used were RND Portico 5033 & 5043, elysia alphacomp, some default cubase plug-ins like the tubecompressor, chorus on the backing vox, lexicon PCM native reverb for all the reverbs and space, u-he Satin on the master fader to give it a more analog sound, then some automation here and there. For the de-essing I doubled the lead vox track and the boosted the crap out of the treble frequencies where the worst 'sss' sound was by 14 dB (this frequency must remain a secret though I'm afraid) and used this as the side chain trigger of a compressor on the main vocal track, this took away most of the harshness in the mic sound whilst also removing most of the esses. I then used steinberg's limiter in wavelab and fine tuned the fade in and fade out. It was good fun mixing this but really a shame that they are only mp3 files, if you can send me WAV files I'll be able to do a far better sounding version than this one. Mixed on sennhieser HD280 pro headphones so I haven't checked them on my main monitors yet.

regards,

Ben.

View attachment 87844

Last edited:
i mixed it in ableton (english is my foreign language so sorry for any mistake)
first thing i always do is to create initial volume balance betwen tracks
one "trick" i use to do it is to turn down volume ON YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE (NOT in DAW) so you can hear only loudest instruments (it's snare and some guitars/pianos in most cases) and move vocal fader up til it sit slightly above snare
after that i used eq on vocal to remove frequencies i don't need/like, HPF is your friend!
then i compress it slightly (2-3 db of gain reduction ratio 4:1)
then eq to boost some high end it makes vocal brighter (some vocals need that some don't)

then i used parallel compression

then sent vocal to reverb

if you have any questions, just ask

Back