Anyone using Tannoy Reveal actives?

bigbear

I just picked up a pair of Tannoy Reveal active monitors. The clarity and stereo image is very impressive. However, I've noticed that the bass response seems overly weak, even for near fields. My concern is that I will not be able to get a true picture of the bass present on my tracks. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Later... Big Bear

Large Furry Creature,
I have passive Reveals and am familiar with the actives and haven't found a lack of bass to be a problem.
Maybe the source of the problem is elswhere in your signal chain or the acoustics in your room.
Just a thought........

ChrisO :cool:

I have them and bass response has been fine. If you've got them close to a wall make sure you block up the ports at the back with accoustic foam.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input and advice. After living with the Tannoys for a week or so, I'm really beginning to appreciate their highly accurate bass. In fact, I'm not sure if the lack of bass I was hearing was placement of my monitors or just adjusting my ear to a different kind of bass. My old monitors were rather boomy. These are much clearer and punchy.

Markd102 and Bdgr, how long have you guys had your Tannoys and how does their sound translate onto other listening systems (car stereo, home stereo, etc.)?

Later... BigBear

I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal Actives. I noticed the lack of LOW bass in the beginning, and did some REAL newbie misstakes. When I played it back on my Dynaudios, my livingroom started to rumble... Only took a couple of more mixes until I found that it's pretty easy to control the lowest bass by paying attention to the bass the Tannoys play.

I usually record my final(?) mixes to minidisc and give them a shot at my Dynaudios which are TOTALLY unforgiving if anything's screwed up..

Yogi
I've only had my Tannoys a couple of months, but I must say my mixes improved instantly. As soon as I plugged them in I had to re-mix all my old sessions because they sounded like s@#t. Now they sound great.
I am planning in the future to add the PS112 sub.
Mark

LOL
Don't hold your breath, because there is other stuff I need that is more important. My mixer is borrowed and I desperately need to upgrade my computer... then a nice pre-amp would be great (sigh). I did however get a post a while back from a guy (think it might have been Big Blue Bear?) who was using the PS112 with a set of Proto-Js (I think) and he was happy with it.

Mark

had them about a year, I guess, but havent had as much time to work with them as I would have liked. There was a move during that time, and I was out of commision with a back injury, but they seem to translate well. I got them and my gadget labs card through a computer loan program the company I work for has. THey give an interest free loan to buy a computer and accesories, so I put the Tannoys down as "Shielded, powered multimedia speakers", and the Gadget Labs 8/24 card as simply "sound card". They didnt even look twice at the invoice.

Back