Anyone using Event's "Mona"?

Elle

I would like to here comments on Event's "Mona" if anyone is using it. Also, does your computer use both soundcards or can you get rid of the soundcard that came with the computer?
Thanks
Elle

Mona is great if you cant afford a mixer but if you can get a layla. Echo will kinda tell you that in nicer words, The new layla 24/96 rocks with optical and many other new options. And as far as your soundcard, yeah you can ditch it, I use layla for my soundcard.

[This message has been edited by ShakesTheClown (edited 07-21-2000).]

You can also keep the existing soundcard if you have a need for it--for example, if it's got a MIDI synth you like and you want to use it -- or if you play games too on the computer, But if you do, be prepared to play the PCI-slot-swappin', what's-my-IRQ game...

-AlChuck

I got a Delta 66, and thought I would need to still have a regular system soundcard. Someone had told me the outs 1 and 2 support directsound...it didnt hit me at the time, but now I realize that the Delta 66 works with all my games and system sounds....wavs, avi's, etc.....The only things I dont have are cd audio and an internal synth. But, I use an external tone module for MIDI and as far as cd audio, I could easily make a cable and route it into the Delta 66 if I wanted to.

My point is you may be able to do the same with your mona. That could possibly save you a LOT of headaches. Do you know if any of the Mona's outputs support directsound?

If you do set up a second soundcard, I know it's possible, but it probably wont be easy. You'll may have to try a few different things before you find what works.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I have a mackie mixer, I was hoping with Mona I would not need it. So why is Layla better than Mona? Mona has preamps, monitor outs. I would not need my amp or mixer. Am I missing some info here??
Elle

I would never give my mixer up..;-) I inquired about mona when I was doing some upgrading in my studio and the comment made to me was in exact words."Mona is mostly for those who cant really afford a mixer or figure one out" Not my words but the words of some at Echo. Looks cool though and if it suits your needs cool, but DONT get rid of the mixer. Good luck in what you decide, whatever you get (Layla or Mona) you have made a good choice in soundcards.

tell me Shakes - why would event say that when in our country a Mona is $2000 yet a mixer and echo or layla is around that. I thought the mona was the top flight event sound card - please fill me in - cheers John

Mi dos centavos.

I am looking at both the Mona and Layla myself. Right now I am leaning toward the Layla also. My reasoning is that I can start with a smaller (i.e. affordable) mixer and step up to a bigger one as the funding allows. It would also give me the option of using the mixer in a live environment if I needed. Is this valid reasoning or have I rationalized my way into what I think I want?

I found the Echo site to be very informative, although uderstandably biased. The owners manuals are available in .pdf format and gave me a better idea of how I can integrate them into my system.

So Shakes, tell me more about having to have a mixer.

One post I read on this board said that if you have a good soundcard, all a mixer will do for you is add noise.

I've narrowed my soundcard down to Layla 24 or HammerFall. HammerFall says their latency is 3 - 6 milliseconds, which I don't think I could barely even hear, much less be bothered by.

I wrote to HammerFall and Event (same email, mailed at the same time)and received no reply from Event, and a reply within 12 hours from HammerFall. Gives me some concern about Layla's customer service if I have a problem.

My plan is to have an Emu or Kurzweil sampler, two good mics and my guitars. I don't plan on ever recording a band or any more than two or three live instruments/voices. What do you think?

The Emu Ultra S5000 sampler has four outputs. A dual mic-preamp has two more. Layla has eight inputs. Seems like I'm covered and have two extra ins if I need them for perhaps a synth module down the road.

It sure is confusing.

foo

Update of Echo

So I got a reply from Echo today, with a phone number, so I called them.

The guy I spoke to told me that I might want to look into Mona instead of Layla if I wasn't going to use a mixer. His suggestion was to use the S/PDIF out on the sampler (if it has one)to the /in on the soundcard.

It gets interestinger and interestinger, don't it?

foo

Foo,

The reason you didn't get a quick reply maybe because you went to the wrong website. It's Echoaudio.com. They have the whole manual online for mona. I am also thinking about Mona, but I am not sure how I can get the midi to play if I choose to do a couple of tracks using midi. I might just have to dump midi altogether,but with a 800Mz and over 200mb of ram and 30 gig I still wonder if I can.

Elle

C7sus,
I already have a midi patchbay, now tell me how how to get the audio and midi through the same monitors without a mixer and I am gold.

Back