Anyone use 'the Orchard'?

powderfinger said:
has anyone hear of or used this? the orchard? i found the link on musesmuse.com and i've never heard anything much about it.........anyone have any good or bad comments?

http://www.theorchard.com/join/referral.php?id=71
I've never seen it before but will look into it as I am always looking for more outlets for my music. At $49 plus 5 CDs, it almost seems like a songshark thing, but then again, I've had a bit too much Patrón Silver tonight and need to check it out when I'm a bit more "with it." :D

Hmm...dunno.

I sent for info on "physical and digital" distribution. I already have digital distribution in the works through CDBaby.com. As far as the physical distribution, it costs $79 plus 30 CDs to sign up. Five of those CDs are not saleable and are not returned. The other 25 are distributed to retailers (probably mostly online, since it's really hard to get into brick-and-mortar stores). If you sell your CD for about ten bucks, you get $4.03 in return. You DON'T get paid until you make $250 (except for what sells through Orchard.com exclusively), so you have to sell 62 CDs through them to see a return on your investment. After your cost of enrollment (not including the five unsold CDs) you make $171, or about $2.75 per CD.

OR...you could sell 62 CDs at $10 each through CDBaby.com and see a $337 return on your total investment, which is $5.43 per CD.

Actually, I sell most of my CDs in person anyway.

i was personally interested in their deal w/ i tunes and services like that.......it didn't say a whole lot......does that mean if you got listed with them you could sell on services like that?

powderfinger said:
i was personally interested in their deal w/ i tunes and services like that.......it didn't say a whole lot......does that mean if you got listed with them you could sell on services like that?
The way they word it, it appears that they submit your music for consideration to iTunes, etc. and those companies decide whether or not to carry it. It is almost exactly the same way with CDBaby's deal. I paid them for "digital distribution," but if the decision-makers at iTunes think I suck, I don't get on iTunes. Fortunately, they both also submit to several other services. Either way you go, the digital distribution part is exclusive. You can't let someone else also submit your music.

Really, this doesn't look like too bad of a deal. I would really suggest you look into CDBaby's deal though. For pretty much the same setup fee ($75 total) you get into digital distribution, CDBaby's online store, Tower Records' online store, and you get paid as you go, no only after you've made $250. CDBaby will also let you out of the deal with a month's notice. You'd be stuck with The Orchard for a year, minimum. Plus, you get a much bigger share of the sales at CDBaby.
From the email The Orchard sent me:
The Orchard pays artists and labels quarterly for all music sold...Payment for your sales will be processed when your account balance reaches $250. If an account balance for a specific release is less than $250, payment will be carried over until the account reaches $250...We shall have the right to withhold Twenty-five percent (25%) of the Net Income as a reserve for returned and/or defective goods.
The Orchard submits your music to more online retailers. Regarding the other online retailers, they don't have to accept your music either. I'm not sure it's even worth it for you to have them to do so. From personal experience of swimming with all the big fish on Amazon, I never get noticed unless someone does a specific search for my name, and then I appear on the page BELOW all the best-selling books with similar names. People looking for indie acts look where the indie acts are, sites like CDStreet and CDBaby. I've sold many more CDs on the smaller sites than I have the bigger ones (four at Amazon and NONE at Tower). Also, my Amazon site perpetually says "Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way)." Thing is, it's said that for three months and they haven't ordered any more. How pathetic is that?!? I am getting close to just buying the damned thing myself!

Back