Anyone use the Digi001? How are the preamps? Use outside of ProTools? Etc...

Kelly Holdridge

New guy at work is an HR need-to-be (does great work and loves to help others). He's upgrading from his Digi001 (maybe) and is considering selling it. I'm interested in buying it, IF...

1) The pre's are strong and clean.

2) There are few hassles with using it outside of ProTools (LE or not).

3) Issues in using it in a 550 PIII.

Oh, and 4) Has anyone ever bought a used soundcard? The idea of buying second-hand on the most important part of a DAW feels... weird.

Thanks in advance, folks!

:D

Kelly Holdridge said:
New guy at work is an HR need-to-be (does great work and loves to help others). He's upgrading from his Digi001 (maybe) and is considering selling it. I'm interested in buying it, IF...

1) The pre's are strong and clean.

I use the 001 at home to edit mostly and use the real thing at work. The pres are ok sounding basicly they are clean and I would say defenitly worth the money you pay for them.

2) There are few hassles with using it outside of ProTools (LE or not).
c
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean is it compatable with things like direct X? or VST?. It isnt at all. But in my opinion you dont realy need anything aside from the RTAS plugins and the audio suite stuff if you also get the waves RTAS plug ins your set.

3) Issues in using it in a 550 PIII.

Goto Digidesign.com and look at the specifications you need. It's quite simple but you must follow the lines !.

Oh, and 4) Has anyone ever bought a used soundcard? The idea of buying second-hand on the most important part of a DAW feels... weird.

I wouldnt worry to much with the 001 as it's solid like a rock.
Just check the cable going from the interface to the breakout box.
It's a good home recording all in one system. Solid and reliable
as well as easy to use.

I use the Digi001 with ProTools. I personally love it, although it seems to get ripped a bit by most home users.

The pre's are decent. Quiet enough for me at least. Does seem to lack some top end sparkle, however.

I have had it set up on a 400mhz with 256mb of ram, a 18gb OS drive and 3 18gb data drives. These were on an Adaptec 2940 card.

Good luck!

Clark

Heya, Clark! Welcome to HR.com!

Thanks, guys. I talked with Chris today, he's going to keep the Digi001 for a bit longer than I want to wait for a new soundcard... I'm going to be able to test-drive it at his studio, though, and might buy one down the line new...

Shailat, I've wondered how you're doing lately. I hope things stay somewhat calm over in your part of the world, and will try to pray for you during whatever "spookies" that might arise... Also, I'd still like to send a CD your way at some point, just to give you an idea of that song we discussed earlier. Chris, the fellow I just mentioned, is going to get it transferred to WAV, so I'm not expecting anything, but you might like hearing some good'ol basement blues. ("What's your point, Kelly...?") Email me w/ address if you'd like it (had to wipe the drive a while back, which is also why I'm looking at soundcards (new drivers don't work well)).

the Digi001 for a bit longer than I want to wait for a new soundcard...

You can NOT use any other soundcard with the Digi001. It's soundcard is the only one you can use. Many people complain about this because it's not upgradeable to a different soundcard, your stuck with 24 tracks, and it can't use those cheap direct X plug-ins.

Ah, gotcha, Frank. Yeah, it sounds like a great soundcard that, in order to make sure it's working, requires a very specific system configuration. I'd be happy with that, and have no real use for my SBLive, but Chris isn't selling right now. It's looking as though I might get a small two or four-input card, a cheapie, and look for a good deal down the road on an 8-input powerhouse.

I was afraid that trying to use other audio suites would give the Digi001 a fit, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had used it in a custom setup. Kinda moot, since a new Digi001 is just out of my price range, and a used one isn't happening either, lol. If and when I get one, I won't be using another soundcard with it. I save TRIBES for work, lol...

Nice avatar, btw! SUPERSIZED!

:D

Back