Anyone Use A Tech 21 Amp?

mike2731

Has anyone here ever used a Tech 21 Trademark 10 or Trademark 60. Have you recorded direct with them? I have a 60 coming that I bought for an 80's band project a friend and I are working on, as my current amp selection is down to one lonely Soldano Astroverb, but I've been wondering if the direct out on the Tech 21 amps are as high quality as some of the other Tech 21 units, like the Sans Amp line. Would love to hear some opinons and/or samples. Thanks!!

Mike

I've had a Trademark 10 for a couple of years. I love it. I don't recall if I used it for recording - but I use it on a weekly basis with our church's youth group. I go right into the PA with it (like a DI box), and use the actual amp as my monitor.

The kids laughed at it when I first brought it in. After about 30 seconds of running through the various amp models and keeping up with a Marshall combo with volume and tone, they were smiling and laughing for a different reason.

I used to have a GT-2 that I used for recording a while back. I think, if anything, the trademark is quieter and not as noisy as the the little GT-2.

The little speaker in the Trademark is probably the weakest part of that system - even though it gets loud, I think it's lacking in overall tonal quality. It can't push much bottom end.

mike2731 said:
Has anyone here ever used a Tech 21 Trademark 10 or Trademark 60.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I have been using my Tech21 Trademark 10 (TM 10) for a few years now for practicing and recording. (Search the forum here for my previous posts regarding it) Long story short: I have found it to be a great amp for recording clean and overdriven guitars! At one time it was my only amp, so it's all I had to use. One of the nicest features is the speaker emulation output, which comes in handy when it's 3 AM and I come up with a riff that I have to record IMMEDIATELY, before I forget it. By plugging in a "dummy" 1/4" jack into the headphone jack, the speaker is disabled, thus allowing you to record a rather pleasant overdriven guitar, rather than something that sound like @ss, without anyone else hearing you record. A very handy feature since my "studio" is located directly below my (sleeping) wife and our bedroom.

You can hear some of my demo recordings with it here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/mrmoonmusic.htm

Check out "Laughing at nothing" and "War13" to hear the TM 10 in action. I recorded these tunes by micing the speaker with an SM-57 rather than using the emulation becuse it sounded better to me. I would have to agree with Fusionspace that the speaker is the weak link on the TM 10, but it still sounds better for recording than the emulation does, at least on the overdriven stuff. The TM 10 pumps my 4x10 Marshall cab nicely, and d@mn! ...does that sound good!! Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to post any recordings through the 4x10 though....

I have read that the preamp configuration and such on the TM 60's are different than the TM 10, so my comments may offer little insight. I can say that I think the emulation of the TM 10 sounds a million times better than the old "Rockman" that I used to use for direct recording.

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

Thanks a bunch Mr Moon. I'm goinmg to check out your mp3's and hear it. I should have my TM 60 next week. A good buddy of mine used to have one and I know he loved it, and you can't seem to go wrong with the reviews at Harmony Central. I think the sound quality is 8.9 with over 200 reviews. I was just looking for something versatile, and everything I've read about these say that they are.

Last edited:
Back