Anyone tried the new quad core AMDs yet?

timthetortoise

MADE OF SANDALWOOD
At the current prices, you can build an eight core system for under $1,000. Just wondering if anyone's tried the processor yet and how it performs, what kind of heat it puts out, what kind of power consumption, etc.

Im a big AMD fan. I thinks in the past 15 years I've had one Intel machine. I usually keep up on whats new, but the past year I have not. Now you have me wanting to build a new pc. In my studio Im running a 3.8 AMD single core. Have no shortages of cpu cycles recording and mixing as of yet. So I guess I dont need a new one. Well maybe a new game rig :) would be nice

Haha, same here. I've got 6 AMD machines and a little PIII that just shit the bed. Never had an AMD board/proc/machine in general crap out on me, so I'm gonna stick with it. 8 cores is just hella enticing and it seems too good to be true for under a grand (actually under $700 for the setup I'm looking at). Not many reviews are out there because they just came out not too long ago, but from what I've seen they're all favorable reviews.

We have a set of them here at ADK Pro Audio for testing but have yet to find a motherboard they work correctly in. We're on experiment board #4 I believe. AMD sent them to us well over a month ago and still no boards to work right. Even with unreleased BIOS's.

Back