Anyone tried Johnson J-Station?

timtraynor

I have got a Flextone amp but am looking to get either the new POD or a J-Station. I live in a remote area so must order thru catalogs and can't test at a music store before buying.
Has anyone any opinions on the new J-Station versus a new POD? Thanks!

I have decided to get a J-Station. What sold me is that you have more control over effects, it has a built in tuner, it has bass amps (no need to buy an addtional Bass Pod), it has a digital out, and it sounds great.

Hey Fishmed,

Assuming you buy it, could you post some opinions after using it for a little while? I recently asked about using a guitar POD for bass and most said it would work, but reviews were kind of mixed. Your comment makes me want to take a closer look at the J-station now.

To be honest the J-station seems second rate to the pod. The new pod is better as more hands on-use it to play live for instance. The J-station sound is not as credible as the pod and where I know more expensive than the pod. I know I couldn't actually buy and choose between without playing on them both but as that's a problem all I can say is good luck. The fact is if you get either then you won't know what you are missing out on with the other as you can't try them both out so you can't realy loose.

Hey Krystofo1:thanks for the reply but what the fuck does your last sentence mean? Could you interpet your English english for me? Rock On?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timtraynor:
Hey Krystofo1:thanks for the reply but what the fuck does your last sentence mean? Could you interpet your English english for me? Rock On?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right-in plain fucking English(remember the language that's belongs to us that you speak 'cus you couldn't make your own LOL).

You say you live in a rural area and you'll have to order through a catalog. The point is your only going to choose one. If you choose the POD (I would) you will not know what the J-station sounds like-(until at least you eventually play one). You therefore can not be dissapointed.

What you should try to do is order both (maybe from seperate places), try them both together and send one back if you can.

timtraynor-I re-read my last post and it wasn't that clear-I've usually had a few to drink before I sit down and start writting on this forum-well I have to dealing with some of you *************************.

Snowdog-so didn't you learn to read and write, or was it your schools fault. Sorry about writting words with more than five letters-feel free to reply.

Maybe I should have been bloody clearerer. I know what the POD sounds like I have a Flextone(a bloody amp with a POD built- in) and had an original POD I sold on EBAY. What I want to know from others ears is how the fuck(American for bloody) does a J-Station compare in sound and features? Rock On!?

See what I mean about drinking before posting a reply.

Let it be a lesson-always read the bloody question-I jumped on the J-station v the Pod.

So to answer your question-you get a few more features on the J-station than the Pod-the Pod is cheaper (in this country anyway) and the actual sound is better than the J-station (I don't hate the J-station-it's not a bad choice).

Right I'm going down the pub.
Later.

I went to the music store Saturday for one reason- to buy a POD. I tried the POD 2.0 and the older version for about two hours all the while thinking "this is what all the fuss is over?" The rock tones were great and I can see why rockheads would dig it but I play all types of stuff and the clean tones were not up to par in my book. I decided to buy the 2.0 though. As I was walking up to the counter I saw the J-Station and asked if I could try it. 30 minutes later I walked out with the J-Station. That's not just my opinion, a salesman there who can play like a mother (he also plays a wide variety of styles of music) recommended the J-Station over the POD. (He's a former POD owner). As far as authentic- I've played a lot of amps over the years and if you like classic sounds like a Marshall stack or a Fender Twin, I'm getting them right from the presets, and they'r authentic as hell. Even through a Carvin bass amp with a telly! My wife is a musician and she immediately thought the J-Station sounded somewhat better than either POD as well. The editing capabilities are quite good too. I'm happy as hell with it but that's not to say it's for everyone.

Does the J Station have midi and come with software? Can you get upgrade chips for the J Station? Can you download patches from the internet for the J Station? Is the J Station a direct box? Can you get a foot controller for the J Station? Inquiring minds want to know.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 06-12-2000).]

I haven't delved into most of this stuff yet. You can definitely get downloads via the Internet and you can definitely get a foot controller for the J-Station. Having tried it direct for recording and also through an amp- I'll give the J-Station a huge thumbs up on both counts. I definitely intend to use it for live work through an amp. The coolest features I've noted so far are:

1. It comes with free Windows-based editing software that looks pretty awesome though I haven't tried it yet.

2. It has actual cabinet simulation that's seperately accessible. In other words, the preset for a '72 Marshall stack comes with the Marshall head and the 4-12" Celestion cabinet but you could put a 2-12" Fender cab in to replace the Celestions if you like.

3. When you access a preset sound, let's say it's a Fender amp, each tone control automatically simulates the actual EQ points of that amp. Having owned many amps in the past, I'd say those EQ points are very near 100% accurate if not 100%.

[This message has been edited by magicman (edited 06-13-2000).]

Thanks very much for the report. I am leaning toward the J-Station but would like a few more reports. The POD has almost twice as many models as the J-Station but you are right it is more heavy rock oriented. Keep us informed. I have a few more days until I order one or the other.
My mother plays a salesman of a guitar?
Rock On or Die!

How much is a J-Station ($)?
As far as heavy sounds from the POD are concerned, are you speaking of the midi accessible stuff?
Also it's not unthinkable to augment the POD sounds by adding a stomp box before the POD since it is a direct box. I've done that with some of my peddles and the results are heavy.

DaveO - I chickened out and got the POD Pro instead.

The POD has great general authentic sounding patches. I think for heavy stuff, I would prefer my old gear. BTW, the Roland GP-100 is still the best guitar processor I have ever owned. Just like anything though, you have to spend time to tweek out the sounds you want. The GP-100 is very flexible and has many more options.

The POD is going to be used more for my clients than for myself.

So far I haven't heard any mention of cash $$$?
And what does a J-Station look like?

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 06-14-2000).]

I only have time for a quick post today. I'll post again this weekend and try to answer any other questions. The salesman quoted me a "rock bottom" price of $325 on the POD 2.0 and later, a slightly higher price for the J-Station, I think he said $340 for the J. But after I pulled the old "I only brought this much cash with me" trick I got the J-Station for $320 plus tax. Actually this time it wasn't a trick. Expecting to buy the POD I really did only have that much.

Okay I checked it out at Musicians Friend. $299 and they will lower prices because they have done so for me. Unfortunately I'll be sticking with my good ol' POD. MF also has the upgrade for the POD at $49 now which may also be negotiable. :D

Back