Anyone played a Martin DM ????

rxkevco

Hi all, been away from the scene for a little while,,,,, missus fucked off etc, so am now picking myself up and trying to get back into things i have neglected over the last few yrs.

Now,, looking for another acoustic guitar and really fancy a martin (as does everyone i suppose ), have roughly £600 for a used model.
I play an old 70s yamaha FG430 which i have owned for over 25 yrs and still love and play her most of the time,, but i have been trying out a few martins such as the d15, the 16, etc,, baby taylor, and a few takamines as well.
Not been particulary imppressed by anythingthing really so far, although if you go a few hundred quid more,, the options open up slightly more, but i really am restricted to what i have to spend at the moment.

Have read some good stuff about the DM and its definetly in my price range for used condition, with spare change to get hold of a fishman or something similar.

Unfortunatly, my local guitar shop dont have a DM in stock for me to try so i am looking for recomendations on what to spend my money on,,,, my £600 is in my paypal account, so i am restricted to buying off ebay really.

Have also read a lot of good things about blueridge and lakewood,,,,

Would really appreciate some advice on what to spend on,,
I do a lot of strumming, a fair bit of flatpicking, and not so much fingerpicking !!!!
Many thanks, kev.

Had a DM and it was a great little player.... no comparison between the Road series and the X series, as these have solid tops and sound pretty sweet.

Terrible tragedy with that guitar..... had Willie Nelson sign the top at Jazzfest... then Johnny Cash signed it about a month later...... went to a Neil Young show to have the holy trinity of signatures put on it about a year later in New Orleans...... Killer show... totally stoked......... ran back to my car to bring it to the stagedoor, and someone(motherfoooooker!) had ganked it from my trunk! Sad thing... some bastard prolly sold it for a $20 crack rock..... WHAAAAAA WHAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

What other guitars would you compare it to,, as an equal or better,, i know we arent in d28 territorry here by any means ( man i love that guitar ),, but it must have rivalry from models of other manufacturers !!!!

PS: just missed out on a yamaha LJ26 by just £20 on ebay, sod it i thought, looks the bollox, apparrently sounds the bollox, hand made, solid wood all round, will put in my max £600,,, bastard sold for £620, £1800 new they are as well,,,, missed out on another bargain !!!!

Reality? Your FG is prolly gonna sound better than the DM if you have taken care of it. Yure really on yr own with a big leap of faith buying an acoustic without playing it first. Just make sure ya get a return policy on it!

There's no reason to buy a guitar at that price. Your Yamaha is probably better. Save up a coupla quid and sport for a Gibson Songbird, one of the most consistantly warm and playable mid range acoustics out there.

Martin DM

Flamin Lip said:
Reality? Your FG is prolly gonna sound better than the DM if you have taken care of it. Yure really on yr own with a big leap of faith buying an acoustic without playing it first. Just make sure ya get a return policy on it!

Those old Yamaha acoustics are great sounding guitars. My friend has one that I tried to buy for years . It plays and sounds great! He also had a Martin JM (Jumbo Mahogany) that he did sell to me instead of the Yamaha. I love the JM. It plays real nice and definitely has the deep rich sound of a Martin. It records real clean too.
I doubt that I would've taken a chance on th JM if it hadn't been local so I could play it and hear it before buying.
I don't know if this helps or not but FWIW I like the JM and would probably buy a DM if the price was right and I could try it first.

Back