Anyone own or tried the MXL 67Q stereo mic?

psongman

HI, I am thinking about getting one of these, as it seems like a good investment. I used to have a stereo mic, in the good ole days, and it had a certain flavor and fatness I liked. However, I will wait for a response from the forumites before decidind, OK< thanks for helping me in the decision-making, psongman

A pair of 22mm capsules in an X-Y arrangement? Isn't that a bit big for stereo recording? Off-axis on a near-LDC?

HI, well, I am going to record all summer long in my basement studio. When I click on record in Reaper or Adobe and arm the track, it always asks me, if I want stereo in on soundcard or mono. You know, most astute studio engineers or small studio owners will say, always record in mono and adjust accordingly to space and sound.

My experience is though, it is better to keep it simple, so I do all my drum tracks, in EZDrummer, in stereo, and my vocals in stereo, and the rest of the stuff in mono, except for synth pads. So, back to topic, was thinking that a stereo mic, might be interesting to attempt...but like the poster said, might be too much for some projects. OH well, probably wouldn't hurt to buy one as I am sure it could be used for micing something, maybe live drum stuff, if I could ever get a drummer to play some rhythms, hmmm, appreciate the comments, psongman

I guess I didn't explain my post clearly enough. I'd expect this mic to sound pretty bad. When designing a stereo microphone, you would normally use a small diaphragm capsule. The bigger the diaphragm, the more colored the off-axis sound is, and in an X/Y stereo mic, sounds from in front of the mic are all off axis.

There are plenty of good stereo mics out there, but this isn't likely to be one of them.... If you're looking for a stereo mic, Audio Technica and Shure both make decent ones. That said, you're usually better off with a pair of good small diaphragm condensers. That way, you can use them as a stereo pair or use them individually.

I think if it is affordable and you needed one that this would be a nice choice...if it sounds like the v67 and is priced like 2.

overheads for drums sound a bit more colored when using LDC...I have a pair Ive used before for that and its a sound you wouldnt want for Jazz...but rock is OK.

They're 19mm capsules, same as the 603.

That's not what the specs I saw said.

And how do you explain the AKG C24?

*shrugs* Everybody makes mistakes? :D

But seriously, I haven't heard a lot of comments about that mic, pro or con. That said, I can pretty much guarantee these capsules are not of remotely the same calibre as even AKG's worst.

Back