Anyone own a Marshall JCM 800?

HateMail

Damn damn damn, I know this is the amp I wanted so bad and I have. So far the running tally includes: new tubes, rebias, servicing for a statickling sound.

Now theres another problem that I need your help with folks, I want her to be purring beautifully so please offer any advice.

My JCM800 is a 2210 2 channel with reverb, 1987 model year. I have a problem with the guitar input, lots of the time the amp doesn't play at the full volume its supposed to, the input has a problem where the volume cuts out to like half. So what i've done is wiggled the input, bamn, problem solved for like 2 minutes. It keeps cutting out from a low volume to a high volume just because of the input.

Anyone have this problem before and know what I can do? Any constructive advice is welcome. :confused:

Just because you say wiggling fixes the problem....

The JCM 800 2203 had vertical inputs that were mounted to the faceplate. Then they cheapened it with horizontal inputs that were just soldered to the PCB and had problems with breaking.

I don't know much about the 2210, other than it replaced the 2203 and 04, but if has those same crummy jacks, I would say that might be it.

Sounds like just a loose input jack that needs to be resoldered back to the board (Probably happend from your guitar cord yanking on it one too many times when walking too far away from the amp while still plugged in). If you can solder, you should be able to fix it yourself by taking apart the amp, flipping the circuit board over and just remelting the 4 solder points where the input jack connects to the board. If that doesnt do it your input jack may be shot and can be ordered online for about $10-$15. (Just Google marshall amp parts). If not a repair shop will probably charge you at least $70 or more to fix it.

A simple but effective way to prevent this mishap is to get in the habit of looping your guitar cord through your amps handle before plugging it in each time just in case.

Yep, as above, broken solder joint (quite common on my 5212 too!!) or busted contact in the plug itself.
Don't forget to pull all the knobs off and the pot securing screws to get underneath the PCB!!! What fun!!

Thanks for the advice for fixing the input jack. Only concern I have now is when I open the sucker up if there is a good chance of some deadly amount of current to pass through my body. And if there is, what I can do to prevent death.

HateMail said:
Thanks for the advice for fixing the input jack. Only concern I have now is when I open the sucker up if there is a good chance of some deadly amount of current to pass through my body. And if there is, what I can do to prevent death.
YOu might want a tech to do this for you. You could leave it unplugged for a week, but that still doesn't mean the caps are drained. You really just have to stay away from the large capacitors.

faderbug said:
when you ask that question it's best to have it done by a tech.

Haha, I took it to a tech and it was one of those techs that did a great job solving the original problem but he never actually plugged in and listened to the amp. Cost me a pretty penny to get it retubed, cleaned up, and soldered to efficiency. Unfortunatly I don't have the pretty pennies to get it checked again.

Guess i'll use rubber gloves or something.

Back