Anyone out there using Drumagog?

Phildo

I heart guitars!
I'm never totally happy with my drum sounds (bloody Clearmountain's fault!), so I'm considering getting Drumagog to help me out a little. Any of you guys used it? What's the verdict?

Drumagog is great but if you are going to try and gog the whole kit ..... you'll have some work ahead of you, unless you've got some real good isolation on each mic of a close mic'ed kit and maybe some heavy gating. How much gating you can get away with will depend on the style of drumming. Lots of subtle ghost notes, mic bleed and what not will be the hardest to overcome.
You might be better off trying to find the root of your unsatisfactory drum sounds and, if need be, only try and gog certain things such as kick and snare (if possible).

I agree. It really depends on what you expect from Drumagog. As a kick and snare replacement, it's great. That's what it does. If your overheads sound terrible, then you're stuck with that.

The way Drumagog works is that you set a threshold for a trigger of a replacement sound. This threshold appears as a horizontal line above your waveform. Any hits above this line will trigger the replacement sound. Setting the threshold correctly is the critical part. If you have a drummer with dynamics that are all over the place and your snare, for example, is not gated then you can get false triggers.

I've noticed that a lot of metal mixes bury the overheads and do severe high passing on them to avoid conflicts between the real recorded kick and snare sounds and the triggered ones.

It's only the kick & snare sounds that I ever have any problems with - I use Groove Tubes GT55s for overheads, which always give me a superb sound, and those little clip-on Sennheisers for toms - which again are ace.

I've never had any bands complain about my drum sounds, it's just a personal thing. I want an SSL sound from a 1680!!!

Anyhoo, bought Drumagog last night, and you're right - as a snare/kick replacement it seems pretty faultless. Money well spent!

Although it is easier to replace drum sounds when they are well isolated, Drumagog does have what amounts to side-chain filtering to help isolate the drum that you want to replace. If you are replacing toms, it really does help to have them individually mic'd. You can do it from an overhead track, but that could be a lot of editing.

Back