anyone living in phoenix az

jal

i was just wondering cause if someone does we should get together and turn these discussions into reality. itd be cool to meet someone into recording as much as i am.

jal

ps. im married sorry. hehe

did you say phoenix

i just moved to phoenix from chicago checking out the bands love this bbs.help me a hole lot on setting up my home studio. still a lot to learn. sh## iam marry to.

cool thisa is why i posted this so we phoenicians can all get together and localize.

jal

i'm moving back to tucson soon.i lived there for a few years before i took this wanker job i have now.i use to cruise the blues bars in phoenix.saw some blues greats there.any ways i'll get in touch around christmas.

I'm from Phoenix, too (Chandler, actually). Getting a studio started now, playing with two local bands. This Saturday night my band <a href="http://www.geocities.com/off_machine">Off Machine</a> will be playing at the <a href="http://www.bashonash.com">Bash on Ash</a> at 9pm, all ages welcome, cover $5. Sponsered by KUPD, Pete's Wicked Ale, some local tattoo shop, etc, etc. My other band is <a href="http://www.cohsucks.com">Creatures of Habit</a>, got some gigs coming up with them, too. On that COH site you can find my pathetic first attempt at home recording, a song called Bleed. At least I learned a lot :). It was mixed on some extremely bass-heavy consumer stereo speakers and sounds awesome or completely horrible depending on your speakers.

actually,diragor(right?)i am listening to it on headphones right now,and i know that headphones are unrealistic for mixes,but it sounds killer!!!i haven't gotten into this style of music for a long time,but out of the shit that comes out of this type of genre,your vocalist has one of those awesome type styles,but hey i am at work,so i can't listen on speakers,they're tiny anyway,but isn't that the test?to hear your music on terrible speakers,and make it sound good.ok ,now i'm gonna listen to the live song...........let's see what ...........ok,what's the bass player rig?i do like the bassists tone,if yer gonna play this style,that's the tone essential for bass.ok,so far so good,i'm'onna turn my friend in s.f. on to this,he's got a band named bluebeard,jonnie,the guitarist kind of translates weird on to the internet,like where i can hear some songs ,he's into this freaky distortion sound that sounds like it's ripping apaRT your speakers,but he did some funky assed recording liked tracked evrything at his warehouse studio computer ,then transferred it to 2 inch tape.sounds excessive,if you got cash ,2 inch tape is not a problem,but....i can see doing transfer where you need to add punch,like in my poor excuse for a home studio,with my entry level gadgets,once i mix to cd,play back is not as punchy as other recordings.anybody else got that problem?i know i am asking for it.it'ss obvious ,i need to spend caqsh and get a good amount of stuff,but,with the recordings i have now,will spending $200 on a sonic maximizer do me?ok ,i have gotten way of subject,like i do everytime i respond to a thread,beware anytime it says mojovoodoo,he goes way off on a tangent!!oh ,arizona was the subject?cool yeah ummm..never been there,and not married.but philly is lame and not very supportive in the music scene.

Yeah, the style of that band (Creatures of Habit) is not what I listen to most of the time, but I kind of got stuck in that rut as a drummer. Most bands out there (in my experience) are metal in one form or another, so that's what I've always played. That's why I hooked up with the other band, Off Machine, which is much more like Mr. Bungle, Frank Zappa or Faith No More (those are the comparisons we usually get). Not your average straight-forward rock/metal. We just recorded some live stuff at my place, all together, only 8 tracks, and I'm pretty impressed with the sound so far. I'll have some mp3's up soon at our new domain http://www.offmachine.com (just registered, it'll be a couple days).

If you wanna hear some more of my recording experiments for the hell of it, I have some mp3s on my home page http://aisle4.pair.com .

what machine did you record the 8-tracks on?analog or digital?so drummer,eh?i have not met many sound guy,recording type drummers,especially metal,they mostly become the engineers nightmare,like "hey,man,i can't hear any drums in the headphones!"not that it's a bad thing,with how seriously i like to groove,it is a hot commodity to just find a competent drummer,in fact just met one last night,whom is willing to try our new projects(we're gonna do a cabaret /burlesque show running the gammut on all styles of music,complete with dancers)but just to have a live human drummer,rather than programming my boss dr-5.he is gonna leave a set over my place!!yeah,now i got like 20 foot ceilings and a hardwood floor.do i deaden the drums?or do i just find the best spot in the room and set up an overhead mic?i know that in certain rooms ,i have recorded drums with one dynamic mic,and been able top get every nuance ,from the crisp of the hi-hat to the thump of the bass drum.i am looking forward to this room with drums,but i got my bedroom which is smaller,with more stuff,so not so much transient sound,or my living room which is huge!!!with no furniture,lots of wood.i want a BIG sound ,so i don't have to tweak that much,the only natural reverb i would ever use is that of drums in a big room.tell me of your experiences recording drums.any tricks with one mic,no mixer?(at least not 'til february,i got a boss br-8,built in mic pre's,a really shitty audio technica mic dynamic )in feb,it'll be a computer with who know's what?a large diaphragm mic perhaps,and a good mixer with tube pre amps.

Collaboration Wanted

Wuz zup fellas,

I am in a band and we are recording our first CD. What we are looking for is a hand and an ear to help as progress is slow. We have a really desent home studio, live in the Tempe area, and jam a least twice a week. We are also looking for gig connections, a new band name, and a lead singer (amongst other things).

check out www.therhythmmethod.net to listen to our stuff and view some pics.

take it easy

michael

Phoenix!!

I too live in Phx. Actually, Surprise, AZ. It's good to hear from some phoenicians. How's the music scene in phx? I dropped out about 6 years ago. Used to be in a band called IzzY Epstein. Played all the clubs (Bostons, Jar, Concrete Jungle, Silver Dollar, 11East Ashland, etc., etc.) made a few records, then got married to the bass-player! Let me know what's going on. I'mm not married, and a school teacher who records the little punk bands at school. Also, I'm still recording my own stuff. Check it out if you like:

Outside Help

Hello all from (or nearby) Tempe Arizona....

Come on now, just got the Tascam DM-24 in our studio...Have great equipment cool studio and fantastic originals. Anybody wanna help?

Anyone care to have fun mixing down/collaborating/mastering/having fun?

Own

Cubase 32
G4 Dp 533
Steinberg Mastinering edition
psp plugins
etc...

Later

mike

http://www.geocities.com/injury_69

ps-must be more experienced than we are, and no there will be no money involved! ") cause we have all the goodies!

Back