Anyone know what's up with the Studio Projects CS line?

kojdogg

bollocks redux!
... specifically the CS5. It looks like they started out at around $800 street when the came out, dropped to about $500 and now many retailers are selling the CS5's for $350 or less. I remember seeing this mic praised during a shootout conducted by a moderator of another message board and the CS5 stood out as a great sounding mic for relatively short cash (at least on the vocal sample I heard)-- even at one of the higher prices (I don't know which price point it was at back then (2007).

Anyone know the story with these? Is the CS line being discontinued or is it a price adjustment a la what happened with the ART MPA Gold and PRO VLA a few years back (though that involved a shift in production over to China IIRC) and/or a concession to the economy? If it's the latter case have there been any changes in the manufacture (they were always made in China obviously)? I guess they haven't sold well in any case...

I'm looking for a condenser to basically live in my Grendel Sound Dead Room and this mic has gotten some nice mention in reviews for that purpose (i.e. guitar cabs). If that mic could double as another vocal mic choice it would be great.

Ive been out of the PMI loop...I just wonder if he ever released the high end mic that big time designer was working on before he died?...I still have the bucks to aquire one if it comes out.

Ive been out of the PMI loop...I just wonder if he ever released the high end mic that big time designer was working on before he died?...I still have the bucks to aquire one if it comes out.

You're talking about the Stephen Paul mic?

Tony showed me the prototype last year. Nothing has been done because Tony moved to a new shop and is trying to get everything set up by himself. I don't know if he's done yet, but he also has a lot of work to do besides getting the mic into production. If I wasn't so damn busy with my business I'd be giving him a hand.

As far as PMI's involvement with the Stephen Paul mic, that has always seemed like "vaporware." If you go back and read their statements when they announced the line they referred to it as their more upscale and refined line of products. If the CS effort didn't go well for them, I wonder how they'll feel about backing a really esoteric, boutique type of product like the Stephen Paul mic would have to be.

I cant say Im not curious about the CS1 or 5...id like to know what models they were going for with the sound...at $250 in some places it might be pretty cool...anybody useing this line?

As far as PMI's involvement with the Stephen Paul mic, that has always seemed like "vaporware." If you go back and read their statements when they announced the line they referred to it as their more upscale and refined line of products. If the CS effort didn't go well for them, I wonder how they'll feel about backing a really esoteric, boutique type of product like the Stephen Paul mic would have to be.

The thing with the Stephen Paul mic is that it really isn't "vaporware". I held it in my hand. It uses a custom made FET that is super-flat, super low noise. Tony will be in charge of capsule production and he wants all of the manufacturing done in his shop. No outsourcing. I also don't think Tony ever fully handed the project over to PMI. I was over there talking with Alan and Brett and they seemed to indicate Tony emails me more than them, which isn't all too often. This is my take on it, of course. I could be completely off base.

PhilG's comments are "on the money"................the mic's future is totally in Tony's hands and for reasons of his own, it appears to have a low priority...............a situation that has probably frustrated the hell out of AH/PMI;)

:cool:

Thanks for all of the insights into the CS line :rolleyes: :D

lol...its worse over at gearsluts...there you get reviews from folks who never used the product.

I did PM Harvey Gerst because he does have one...but I havent heard back...Ill be sure and give you guys his opinion as soon as he gets to me.

Yeah, but you'd gut it and make it into a crazy monster mic with an M7 in it or something and those weird dials in the mic would just crank up or scale back the awesomeness.

Uh..NO!

You NEVER...EVER...scale back the awesomeness!!!:D

lol...its worse over at gearsluts...there you get reviews from folks who never used the product.

I did PM Harvey Gerst because he does have one...but I havent heard back...Ill be sure and give you guys his opinion as soon as he gets to me.
Sorry, Alex grabbed the CS5 for Studio A when it came in, and I haven't had a chance to use it.

Actually, I'm right in the middle of building some awesomeness for my l'il self!;)

You better use a good lubricant:eek:

Harvey; I saw that same comment on gearslutz posted in febuary...Id have knocked him down and took it by now...lol...if he has been using it alot it must be pretty ok...huh?

What about the awesomeness your building for me. Koji is going to be SO jealous!

Now that is going to be some serious awesomeness!! Point to point wiring, multi-pattern control, very smooth sounding. BTW, the first tube I put in ended up having noise and crackling issues. That's another reason I burn them in before shipping them out. I'm going to have all day Sunday to finish them all for you.

Pics of Zbert's mic (group buy), modified:

Attachments

• ZB1.jpg
    ZB1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 55
  • ZB2.jpg
    ZB2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 53
  • ZB3.jpg
    ZB3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 54
Back