Anyone know what mic this is?

jordanstreet

DSCF0139-1.jpg

Thats Paul Gilbert's live setup if anyone is interested.

edit: guess i should of put "mics" I just realized there are two in that pic lol

Thanks,
Jordan

the left looks like a Sennheiser 906....the right looks like a group buy ribbon mic...but I know its not...

or could it be?????

nah...not sure about the right...

Well, there are other versions of the GB mic (I have the red Avant version as well as the black GB version). The only other mic I know that looks sort of like that is the CAD E100, but I've actually never seen the back of one to know if it looks like the pic.

thanks guys :D The group buy mic your talking about I'm not familiar with it.. is that the brand "group buy" or am i missing something lol

thanks guys :D The group buy mic your talking about I'm not familiar with it.. is that the brand "group buy" or am i missing something lol

No, it's a bunch of us buying "private" brand gear at wholesale prices. It was set up and orchestrated by a guy here. There's a ribbon mic (called ACM-4 in the group buy) that looks similar to the mic on the right.

That ACM-4-ish looking mic looks like it has a round diaphragm in it, like maybe it's a condenser, no?

I think you're right. My ACM-4 certainly doesn't have any round diaphragm-esque looking parts like that...

Yeah, I was looking at that too, thinking that looks like a condenser capsule. Anyone got an Cad E100? They are basically the same shape (thin, rectangular), but I've never seen the back of one to know whether they are screened with the capsule visible.

Y'know...this is all well and good, but that photo begs an even more important question:

What kind of drill does Paul Gilbert use for that "pick with a drill" move he does? And is it just me, or is that a pencil with actual picks somehow stuck on the eraser end that's in the drill--or does he use something more robust and customized? Hmmm...

He was doing a traveling guitar clinic thing (I think that was it) in maybe 1988 -- I was in a group of about 10 guitar dorks in Omaha who showed up for a demonstration. I was blown away -- didn't get a look at the rig, though -- what was I thinking?

Ah, but back to the drill -- variable RPMs are needed to synch up with the metronome, but you can get around some of that complexity by sharpening the pencil down to the proper length, right? :D

Back