Anyone here have an SG? Need Help!

etnoziroh

I have an Epi G400 and would like to know if truss rod reaches as far as the strap nut screw on the underside of the guitar. Would a longer screw placed in the original hole contact the truss rod if screwed in?

Hope anyone can help, thanks

Instead of a longer screw, take a couple of toothpicks, and cut them down to the depth of the hole. Coat them with a little woodworkers glue (Tightbond, or such like), and put them in the hole. Then screw the strap button on, before the glue dries at all. The screw acts as a clamp, and the glue will not stick to the metal.

I am assuming you have a striped out screw there, yes? This is, in fact, how most repair shops do these repairs, as most guitars do not have a huge amount of extra wood for longer screws.

I am not sure exactly where the truss rod on SG's goes to, but it would not surprise me if it was far enough to be an issue.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I just had this exact same problem on my 64 SG standard! I went to install some dunlop staplocks, and the screw bottomed out on something and took the threads right out of the wood! I ended up filling the hole with wood puddy and shortening up the screw length.......you only have about a 1/2" to work with!

NOTE_ Be carful what type of puddy you use as some contain chemicals that will eat the finish off almost instantainious!!! (Found out the hard way! )

Thanks,
Rick

Many thanks

Thanks to all of you for the help, I'll check out the gibson site. I did strip a screw in there with a Dunlop strap lock screw in the same way. I'm glad I'm not the only one, I thought I had ruined my guitar.

Thanks

I second the tooth pick method. It was recommended to me by a guitar tech and it worked well.

WERNER 1 said:
I just had this exact same problem on my 64 SG standard! I went to install some dunlop staplocks, and the screw bottomed out on something and took the threads right out of the wood! I ended up filling the hole with wood puddy and shortening up the screw length.......you only have about a 1/2" to work with!

NOTE_ Be carful what type of puddy you use as some contain chemicals that will eat the finish off almost instantainious!!! (Found out the hard way! )

Thanks,
Rick

You need to get rid of the wood putty and replace it with real wood. That shit has NO structural strength, and is designed for purely cosmetic uses. It will not hold. Really. I would hate for the strap locks to fall out on you, wouldn't you?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back