anyone heard a good mellotron sample?

mojovoodoo

ok,i know the basic concept in the original mellotron,so understandably,if there is a tape inside your keyboard,the sound will waver in and out of pitch,but the thing is,that every sample i have tried ,from friends and so forth,the sample is some nasty note in between flat and on key,thus making it difficult to add those sticky syrupy string sounds without it sounding less than nauseating.has anyone heard a good sample that is in tune?or better yet,where can i find a real mellotron?most music stores just say"a what?"i guess these things are extinct?i imagine they are all in l.a.,because they are on sooo many albums,but right here in denver?nada!!

you won't find one for less than 4000$ , but there is a VST simulation i believe...

Well, I found one in a music store in Dallas, but I didnt buy it. Course that was almost 20 years ago.

Mojo,

Mellotrons are very rare and even more difficult to keep in playing condition. GMedia makes a VSTi called the M-Tron which is absolutely wonderful and you can load new tapes that make this thing way more versatile than the original. If you're just looking for samples, http://www.thesoundsite.net has some decent Soundfonts (if you dont have a sequencer that can play them, download the trial version of vsampler) for Mellotron Strings and Flutes- the choir sounds arent horrible either. Unless you're ready to shell out some big bucks for the MTron (Which I'd venture to say is actually worth it) these should keep you satisfied while you save up

Peace

Chris

well i have heard good samples ,but i guess what i was really trying to say was,: has anyone heard one that is in tune?one that can play with concert key?they all seem to be slightly flat.i have played the ones on the logic samples for protools and the vintage keys sounds for the akai sampler,and i forgot the other one,but consistently they were all flat .almost in tune,but flat enough to sound unnerving.maybe it is intentional,because of the whole tape winding analogue string/flute/choir thing,but i would like to add parts that sound in tune,know what i mean?the ones that you all mentioned,are they in yune?-thanx y'all

I saw a brand spanking new mellotron in Sound On Sound recentlly. It's being launched later on in the year I believe. Could have been some sick twisted fantasy though.

Well, it makes pretty cool sounds that can't be exactly mimic'd by a synth.....

You are right.... usually it is used by bands that want to recreate that old sound.

I think it's coolest when people take these things and try and do something new with them....

Unfortunately, I bet you everyone who lays there hands on one of these, trys to do the Strawberry Fields thing...:rolleyes:

Joe

Back