Anyone have the TASCAM ATR-60-4HS/8 .. with a manual, perhaps?

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
If so, would it be too much to ask if you could scan / photo the page where it tells how to adjust the tension arms? I actually know where to adjust but need to know the procedure, like how to line them up correctly.

Yes, I plan to buy the manual but need to know this piece of info asap. Thanks!:)

PS: For those inquisitive types (psst.. Cory:D), yes, I broke down and got me another machine.:eek::o

Okay...I got my jaw picked up...

Daniel...

:eek:

Okay...details...

is it the 1/2 inch 4-track???

How much?

What kind of condition?

That is a pretty rare deck...

I'm excited! :D

PICTURES, chap!

WISH I could help you with the manual...

Here you go Danial and congrats on the new beast! :D

atr60-1.jpg

atr60-2.jpg

atr60-3.jpg

Cheers! :)

Daniel...

:eek:

Okay...details...

is it the 1/2 inch 4-track???

How much?

What kind of condition?

That is a pretty rare deck...

I'm excited! :D

PICTURES, chap!

WISH I could help you with the manual...

Of course I'll post some photos Cory!:) It's a monster 1/2" 4 track!!:eek: I've never seen heads of this size before. They're even bigger than the typical 1/2" 8 track. Yeah, it's pretty rare.

I think I'm the 4th owner:eek: but it's in good condition and low use (tough thing to say for someone of my standards;)). Over the years, the first 2 owners were audio / film studios and the 3rd owner was a young University kid who, like all others before, put only a few hrs on the machine. When he bought it, he thought the motor was shot so he took it to a respected service center who (apparently) did a whole servicing (he said it cost him 3 or 400 bucks). The service people said the only problem was STICKY SHED tape and it was an otherwise well working machine with plenty of head life left. I took a look at the heads and verified some ware but mostly fine. The tape lifters / guides showed that the machine wasn't used that much, just a trace of flat.

Cory, it's a 15 / 30ips machine!!!:eek:

The transport alone seems to weigh more than my 48 and the once 58. Then there's the electronics with the huge VU meters. The thing is easily over 100lbs. I dunno but the OMEGA transport seems even more robust than the 58. The power supply is HUGE, bigger than the former recorders.

Right now I've cleaned the thing from excessive dust. Still need the manual to gain access to the lower back where most of the dust still is, near the little fan.

Hmm, what else... Well, I'm gonna post some photos soon so be patient.

OK, the price wasn't a steal (some would argue) but for what it cost back in the day and that it was local, lower use, 500 wasn't a bad deal at all. Did you know that a single head costs the same from Tascam? :eek:

I'm still waiting for word from Teac Canada (about the manual). The lady there said she's still looking for it, if it's in stock. I hope it's not like a hundred bucks 'cause I still will need a pinch roller! :eek:;)

Here you go Danial and congrats on the new beast! :D

Jeff, you're awesome man! Thank you so much!!:) I do feel a bit embarrassed tho, especially so that you've put in the time to scan these for me, 'cause I meant the actual mechanical adjust of the tension arms, like how to align so that the tape travels uniformly. See, what happened was that I was cleaning it and I removed the upper front panel and thought I should remove the tension rollers (arms) but then realized they were adjustable so I needed to re-align them. I tried to "eye ball it" and set the height so that it more or less matches tape travel of the pinch roller / tach roller but it's a touch and go. Is there a more exact procedure in the manual what to align it against? Sorry again Jeff and thanks!

Ohhhhhhh!!!!!

I think 500 is just fine for THAT...wow... :eek:

Daniel, there is a small set screw in the center cap of each tension roller. Loosen that and then screw the cap in or out to adjust the roller height. It looks just like the 58. I always setup the tape path on the 58 to get tape running dead center across each head so the guides would have to be tweaked (tape was supposed to hit the bottom of the outboard guides and the top of the center guide) and then if that pulled the tape too much at either end of the block then the tension arm height had to be tweaked which in turn might then upset the guide settings so redo those and then readjust the tension arms and then maybe have to tweak the reel table height and then back to the guides...it was sort of a pain. not like the 48...not sure how much like the 58 the ATR-60 is as far as the adjustments go in the block, but once it was set it was really nice.

I'm sure the tape path is beefier since that transport was also built to pull 1" tape as opposed to the 58.

Very cool find, Daniel...an ultimate 4-track machine for sure...did it come with a stand?

Jeff, you're awesome man! Thank you so much!!:) I do feel a bit embarrassed tho, especially so that you've put in the time to scan these for me, 'cause I meant the actual mechanical adjust of the tension arms, like how to align so that the tape travels uniformly. See, what happened was that I was cleaning it and I removed the upper front panel and thought I should remove the tension rollers (arms) but then realized they were adjustable so I needed to re-align them. I tried to "eye ball it" and set the height so that it more or less matches tape travel of the pinch roller / tach roller but it's a touch and go. Is there a more exact procedure in the manual what to align it against? Sorry again Jeff and thanks!
Daniel,

I've checked through the manual and there is no specific instruction on that other then them mentioning that the tape should travel through the middle of the roller, not hitting the top or bottom of it.

They also don't document which if any screws to adjust to effect that but what sweetbeats described to you already, sounds right.

Hopefully, you will take something away from this lesson of trying to do over exuberant cleaning that will lead you into trouble like this. :p

About the manual, if TEAC parts doesn't have stock on the manual or can only offer you a photocopied version of it, I do have the original manual on the nice thick paper stock which covers your 4 track and the 8 track 1/2 inch machines. It is complete with everything except the original binder. It is in a generic binder at this time. Whatever price TEAC quotes you, I will match + shipping and a small handling charge for boxing it up and getting it off to the post office. As I don't have Paypal, I'll also need you to send payment before I ship it out. I don't mean to sound like a hard-ass about this but I am still without full time work and money is very tight for me right now.

PM me if you are interested.

Daniel, there is a small set screw in the center cap of each tension roller. Loosen that and then screw the cap in or out to adjust the roller height. It looks just like the 58. I always setup the tape path on the 58 to get tape running dead center across each head so the guides would have to be tweaked (tape was supposed to hit the bottom of the outboard guides and the top of the center guide) and then if that pulled the tape too much at either end of the block then the tension arm height had to be tweaked which in turn might then upset the guide settings so redo those and then readjust the tension arms and then maybe have to tweak the reel table height and then back to the guides...it was sort of a pain. not like the 48...not sure how much like the 58 the ATR-60 is as far as the adjustments go in the block, but once it was set it was really nice.

I'm sure the tape path is beefier since that transport was also built to pull 1" tape as opposed to the 58.

...did it come with a stand?

Cory, great explanation. Thanks friend. :)

Yeah, the ATR uses the same transport to indeed pull 1" tape so it's got power to spare!:D

While the machine did not come with a stand, I do have an extra CS-607B (I think that's the model) that I can mount it on. Not sure if the electronics section will fit but if the transport will then that's fine too. So I'll have the 48 / ATR mounted on their matching stands.:)

Daniel,

I've checked through the manual and there is no specific instruction on that other then them mentioning that the tape should travel through the middle of the roller, not hitting the top or bottom of it.

They also don't document which if any screws to adjust to effect that but what sweetbeats described to you already, sounds right.

Hopefully, you will take something away from this lesson of trying to do over exuberant cleaning that will lead you into trouble like this. :p

About the manual, if TEAC parts doesn't have stock on the manual or can only offer you a photocopied version of it, I do have the original manual on the nice thick paper stock which covers your 4 track and the 8 track 1/2 inch machines. It is complete with everything except the original binder. It is in a generic binder at this time. Whatever price TEAC quotes you, I will match + shipping and a small handling charge for boxing it up and getting it off to the post office. As I don't have Paypal, I'll also need you to send payment before I ship it out. I don't mean to sound like a hard-ass about this but I am still without full time work and money is very tight for me right now.

PM me if you are interested.

Great, thanks for the additional info and also for the manual offer. :)

PS: Lesson learned indeed. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks!

OK, I'll try to post some photos now but I wish I had more time to do it right. I'll tack on more info as I go, here and there, as I get some time. Suffice to say, if you ever come upon an ATR-60 series (local of course ;) ), by all means grab it. It's an awesome workhorse.

Attachments

• dscf0119.jpg
    dscf0119.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 282
  • dscf0123.jpg
    dscf0123.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 278
  • dscf0124.jpg
    dscf0124.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 274
  • dscf0125.jpg
    dscf0125.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 276
More................

Attachments

• dscf0126.jpg
    dscf0126.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 115
  • dscf0127.jpg
    dscf0127.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 110
  • dscf0128.jpg
    dscf0128.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 109
  • dscf0129.jpg
    dscf0129.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 106
More........................ :D

Attachments

• dscf0130.jpg
    dscf0130.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 109
  • dscf0131.jpg
    dscf0131.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 108
  • dscf0134.jpg
    dscf0134.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 110
  • dscf0135.jpg
    dscf0135.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 108
Not done yet......................;)

Attachments

• dscf0137.jpg
    dscf0137.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 108
  • dscf0138.jpg
    dscf0138.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 105
  • dscf0140.jpg
    dscf0140.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 103
Looks to be in really nice condition, Daniel! :)

And those 4 track heads are massive! That format is indeed what they once termed "super-analog". 30 ips, 4 track half inch!

How are you going to integrate it into your recording system? You mentioned having a CS607 to mount it in; that should do the trick to hold the transport up top and the electronics below...when are you going to do that?

Niiiice...nicenicenice.

Those heads are unbelievable. Those physically appear to have the potential to maintain really good LF performance at 30ips. Wow...wowowow.

How handy to have the phones monitor switchrack right there on the electronics.

I assume the amp cards are behind the meters, yes? A couple of us here are curious to get a look at an ATR60 amp card, so if you ever get the chance...:o

There's a good chance you can get the meter/amp module in the bottom of the CS-607. The module is 4U right? The lower section on the CS-607 is 3U, but you might be able to offset the module by 1/2U and get it to hit the right holes. The rack is certainly strong enough to hold it all.

But really, really nice, Daniel.

Happy for you! :)

I didn't know that about the CS-607 only having room for 3 rack spaces down below!

Maybe a nice custom Studer style roll around cart would be the ticket...with those nice walnut trim panels on the sides and the electronics mounted up above! :eek::):)

Now that would be sweet!

Daniel, You paid only $500 for that and you're not sure if it was a deal? :confused:
I think so! :eek:

Believe me, I appreciate the deal I've got. ;)

Looks to be in really nice condition, Daniel! :)

And those 4 track heads are massive! That format is indeed what they once termed "super-analog". 30 ips, 4 track half inch!

How are you going to integrate it into your recording system? You mentioned having a CS607 to mount it in; that should do the trick to hold the transport up top and the electronics below...when are you going to do that?

Jeff, yeah, when I first popped open the head-cover, I was stunned for a sec cause the heads were indeed massive. The format is unbelievable and it's a bit shocking (in a good way) what one can pick up now, now that analogue in general is devalued and even more so certain "sleeper" decks such as is the case with the ATR-60 series and certain track count configurations, IMO. Must say that a 4 track 1/2" is absolutely awesome to own, especially a top of the line deck back then.

The way I'm going to integrate the machine into my recording system is still up in the air BUT, I know that I'd like to use it for live piano / voice, possibly with the M-30 mixer or the 388 mixer section. :)

Niiiice...nicenicenice.

Those heads are unbelievable. Those physically appear to have the potential to maintain really good LF performance at 30ips. Wow...wowowow.

How handy to have the phones monitor switchrack right there on the electronics.

I assume the amp cards are behind the meters, yes? A couple of us here are curious to get a look at an ATR60 amp card, so if you ever get the chance...:o

There's a good chance you can get the meter/amp module in the bottom of the CS-607. The module is 4U right? The lower section on the CS-607 is 3U, but you might be able to offset the module by 1/2U and get it to hit the right holes. The rack is certainly strong enough to hold it all.

But really, really nice, Daniel.

Happy for you! :)

Cory, yeah, love that beast! :D While I haven't recorded anything on it yet, I played back some tunes recorded by the previous owner. It's most drums, voice, guitar... and it's unreal the depth of those recordings. They're short clips, seem to be tracked in a wood / concrete room and obviously tape re-recorded a number of times but they're crisp. They do lose out when transferred to digital tho.

I'm probably never going to seriously track at 30ips, maybe for fun on occasion but it's cool to know it's there.

Yeah, I love that I can plug head-phones in there and start monitoring. The whole thing is just too cool. Love those huge VU meters too!:D Can't you tell that a bunch of us are not only musicians but collectors? :D;)

Yup, yup, the amp cards..... Interesting you should mention those because I briefly opened up the top of the electronics section and for the life of my I can't imagine how someone can quickly / easily gain access to the various pots, bias adjust etc.....:eek: Maybe there's a way but dunno yet. When I get a manual I'll look into it. I will try to get a photo or two but not sure if it's accessible for clear display (from the top cover removed).

Yeah, I'm hoping that I can mount the amp module below the 607B as it looks not feasible otherwise. It seems to be 4U indeed but need to check the location of those holes etc.... The rack is packed up now but will see. BTW, thanks for taking an interest in that 'cause I was gonna ask about it. ;)

I didn't know that about the CS-607 only having room for 3 rack spaces down below!

Maybe a nice custom Studer style roll around cart would be the ticket...with those nice walnut trim panels on the sides and the electronics mounted up above! :eek::):)

Now that would be sweet!

Don't tempt me with that nice Studer cart, Jeff! :D LOL, just kidding.:D Yeah, it'd be a cool match but I think I'll do with what I have right now. :o I just don't want to get swamped with stuff.:eek:;)

Daniel, I get more happy every time I look at the pictures. Just awesome. :cool:

Thanks Cory and I may put up some more in the near future. Will keep this thread update periodically.

BTW, I've never, ever seen tape being handled as gently as the ATR handles it, even better than the 50 series, not to mention earlier series. WOW.

Daniel, The channel cards are accessed behind the VU meter front panel. You have to undo the 4 front fascia hex screws and then pull the front panel away from the cabinet a few inches. There are wire harnesses still connected at that point and there is enough slack in them to place the panel down, in from of the amp unit so that you can do the various calibration adjustments when needed.

The cards themselves are much bigger then the cards in my MS-16 and I assume much of that is because of the two speed operation which requires different settings for each speed. Luckily though, because you have input and output pots on the front panel, you can tweak those when needed rather then doing a full blown calibration each time. Keep in mind though that those controls are only active when the un cal. light is on, on each channel and that's switched off and on by the pushbutton beside the lamp. They do that so that if you are strictly running your levels from the mixer, you can have a set straight level in and out, just like you would on an 8 track series recorder with no external pots.

The manual, if and when you get it, will step you through the whole procedure. A nice thing about a 4 track is that it takes a lot less time to do then a 16 track! :D

About loosing quality in the digital transfers, this is where having some very high end digital equipment is going to come in handy. The quality of the A/D converters will be all the more important now for preserving as much of the detail and tonality as possible...though in reality, I don't know if in fact digital is yet capable of all the subtle details and space that your deck can capture. At 30 ips, your deck is flat from 30-28Khz +/- 2db. with a s/n ratio of 76 db...pretty much like having Dolby C without the extra circuitry or NR artifacts!

It's a slippery slope! :p

Last edited:
Back