Anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez s470?

Guitarweb

I've been looking to switch from gibson/epiphone into something a bit more comfortable neck wise.

Most comfortable neck I've played so far has been a Jackson Kelly, I'm having a hard time finding one that is new and just plain black (the used ones get shot to hell very fast). The fixed kahler bridge on the KE1 Friedman would be nice.. but thats been discontinued and hard to find.

So I heard a guy getting a great fusion tone out of a ibanez s470. I play mostly metal and jazz rock fusion. I've been looking for something with a comfortable neck for a long time - I hear the "wizard II" is the way to go.

thoughts? I'm looking at a "S470 DX QM" - I know absolutely nothing about ibanez all I know is I probablly want a japanese model.

I almost bought that same Ibanez model.... until I tried a Samick Ultramatic UM-4.

The Samick played like a dream and had much better hardware than the Ibanez (Grover tuners, Wilkinson tremolo, Duncan-Designed pickups). On top of that, the Samick has a nicer body shape, a flame top, and is a dead-ringer for a PRS. Most people have to look hard at the headstock to tell the difference. The tone is great, too.

That smaller, thinner body on the Ibanez just doesn't feel right for some reason, kind of "un-natural." The neck on the Samick is nice and wide and is perfect for jazz chords, even when you get up on the neck. It's just an all-around great guitar.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Buck62 said:
I almost bought that same Ibanez model.... until I tried a Samick Ultramatic UM-4.

The Samick played like a dream and had much better hardware than the Ibanez (Grover tuners, Wilkinson tremolo, Duncan-Designed pickups). On top of that, the Samick has a nicer body shape, a flame top, and is a dead-ringer for a PRS. Most people have to look hard at the headstock to tell the difference. The tone is great, too.

That smaller, thinner body on the Ibanez just doesn't feel right for some reason, kind of "un-natural." The neck on the Samick is nice and wide and is perfect for jazz chords, even when you get up on the neck. It's just an all-around great guitar.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Hey thanks man! Honestly I've only seen the really low end samicks on store shelves and they haven't been very impressive.. this was a decade ago though at the local guitar store.

Just had a look at the ultramatic - it really is nice looking. I'm trying to see if they make one with a fixed bridge like a PRS (I never use tremolo).

Guitarweb said:
Hey thanks man! Honestly I've only seen the really low end samicks on store shelves and they haven't been very impressive.. this was a decade ago though at the local guitar store.

Just had a look at the ultramatic - it really is nice looking. I'm trying to see if they make one with a fixed bridge like a PRS (I never use tremolo).

Yes, they do make a fixed-bridge version.

It's the UM-3

The S-470 is a very nice, very comfortable, guitar. I have an S-520 which has a Wizard I neck. The wizard II is just a little bit thicker. I used to have an RG with a wizard II. It was a very comfortable neck, though the RG body was thick and heavy. But the S series is comfortable all around, no matter what model you play. I've played an S-470 many times and have liked it a lot...I'm a big Ibanez fan...but the wizard I neck is more comfortable for me, but I know other people who prefer the wizard II. Try it before you buy it and you'll be alright. Good luck.

Buck62 said:
Yes, they do make a fixed-bridge version.

It's the UM-3

I checked it out - I'm not big on the the colors for the um3 but the um1 black might be nice.

Anywhere to look at prices online? google doesn't return a lot of results and not a lot of places are carrying samick.

Might get one of these and an s470 and unload one of my other guitars if they are both more comfortable.

setabkcin said:
The S-470 is a very nice, very comfortable, guitar. I have an S-520 which has a Wizard I neck. The wizard II is just a little bit thicker. I used to have an RG with a wizard II. It was a very comfortable neck, though the RG body was thick and heavy. But the S series is comfortable all around, no matter what model you play. I've played an S-470 many times and have liked it a lot...I'm a big Ibanez fan...but the wizard I neck is more comfortable for me, but I know other people who prefer the wizard II. Try it before you buy it and you'll be alright. Good luck.

I was looking at some older RG models before, a friend of mine said to check it out for a good metal sound. I'm not sure what the major differences beetween the S and RG are.

Guess I have to try both the wizard I and II necks now - I know I'm after a thinner neck to play on.

IMO the wizard necks are WAY too thin, the wizard 2s are pretty good for shredding. Anything thinner just seems ridiculous to me and too thin of a neck will make your hand get tired a lot quicker. The Ibanez s470 is a great shredding guitar, the body is REALLY thin though which feels kinda wierd until you get used to it. I prefer RG's just for feel, in sound they're not that much different.

Guitarweb said:
I was looking at some older RG models before, a friend of mine said to check it out for a good metal sound. I'm not sure what the major differences beetween the S and RG are.

Guess I have to try both the wizard I and II necks now - I know I'm after a thinner neck to play on.
IMO the RG just has a "metal-er" look to it. My S is way more comfortable and and I personally think it sounds better (and feels better) than my old RG, but then again my RG was kinda low line. With the super thin neck and jumbo frets, you don't have to push as hard to get your notes, therefore you use less energy and DON'T get tired as fast. But maybe it's just the way I play. You also get awesome sustain. I would never sell my S if my life depended on it. Just my opinion though.

I've got a RG and love the way it plays and sounds, even with stock pickups. Just on word of advice, avoid the ones with the Floyd Rose copy tailpiece, they just aren't as good as the real thing. The Ibanez necks (I have 3 others) all seem to be a bit thinner and quite comfortable to play, I have fairly small hands and the thinner necks have definately made playing for extended periods of time much easier for me.
The sound is always the most important but in my opinion comfort of playing has a lot to do with it when choosing a guitar. If you don't like the feel, you wont play it as much. My attitude is simple, " when it's right for you, you'll know it."

I think the Ibanez S and RG series are probably the best mid-priced guitars for getting that awesome crunchy metal tone and sustain for fusion. I can't think of any other guitar that beats them for the money....

BUT!!!!!....

Just remember that the S470 is pretty much a one-trick-pony when it comes to versatility and getting great tone in other genres of music. It's not the guitar you want to reach for when doing classic rock, Stevie Ray, country rock, or just about any other genre besides metal or fusion which requires great sustain. That's why I recommend the Samick Ultramatic. It's slightly behind the S470 in the afformentioned categories, but it's more versatile overall if you're playing out live and don't want to spend time switching guitars while the crowd waits between songs, or if you just want a guitar with more overall tonal options. Anyway, I just can't get used to that smaller, thinner body of the Ibanez... but that's just me.

As usual, YMMV. :D

Buck62 said:
I think the Ibanez S and RG series are probably the best mid-priced guitars for getting that awesome crunchy metal tone and sustain for fusion. I can't think of any other guitar that beats them for the money....

BUT!!!!!....

Just remember that the S470 is pretty much a one-trick-pony when it comes to versatility and getting great tone in other genres of music. It's not the guitar you want to reach for when doing classic rock, Stevie Ray, country rock, or just about any other genre besides metal or fusion which requires great sustain. That's why I recommend the Samick Ultramatic. It's slightly behind the S470 in the afformentioned categories, but it's more versatile overall if you're playing out live and don't want to spend time switching guitars while the crowd waits between songs, or if you just want a guitar with more overall tonal options. Anyway, I just can't get used to that smaller, thinner body of the Ibanez... but that's just me.

As usual, YMMV. :D

I definately like the look of the UM3 a lot more and I want fixed bridge... I don't use tremolo. The ibanez SZ without the floyd rose looks like hell.

I may get both, depends if I can find a dealer that actually carries samick anymore so I can try one out. Only local dealer I know of stopped carrying them 2 years ago.

If you don't want a floyd rose, don't get one. It will make a huge difference in sound, feel, and its more work to set up a floyd rose. Do you prefer a set neck or a bolt on? If you want a set neck, try a schecter c-1 or an ibanez artist. If you want a bolt on try an ibanez noodles signature, or if the finish is too wierd for you, look for a used ibanez talman.

ibanezrocks said:
If you want a bolt on try an ibanez noodles signature, or if the finish is too wierd for you, look for a used ibanez talman.
play a noodles signature if you're obsessed with the offspring. or if you like duct tape.

oh but it's really fun to buy and ibanez jet king and over haul it.

haha! sorry. i wasn't acusing you of anything. but i like duct tape...a lot.....

Back