Anyone have a vid card with TV out?

TV resolution is 640x480 and that's it. HDTV is 800x600.

I bet using a large TV for tracking would be handy for someone who's recording himself and to strain to see a computer monitor across the room. And maybe it would even be easier to run a TV signal over long distances, which can be problematic with VGA. Other than that it's hard to imagine that using a TV would be too useful.

Slackmaster 2000

If you have a DVD drive, you can use the TV out to display the movie on your TV... as well as Games... I find TV's really smooths out a lot of games. I'd say they look better on TV in a lot of cases. :)...

Tracking would be a cool idea, but i wouldnt recommended anything more then just lookin at the levels. Tryin to read type is hard cause it gets rather blurry. (unles you have on of em hdtvs... or plasmascreens or TV that supports VGA Inputs..)

I have a PC set up as part of my living room alter to entertainment - Stereo / TV / Cable / short wave FM Broadcast unit. Bought a ATX desktop case, painted it Black to match my stereo, the whole works. Has 36 gigs of MP3 files playing back through Music Match jukebox.

I used to use a Voodoo 3000 AGP card, which worked fine. However I had problems playing DVD movies, so I ultimately switched to an ATI Rage AGP card. ATI is known for having good multi-media software, their DVD player worked flawlessly. No stutter playing movies on a PIII 533 (which I'm running at 333 right now for reasons I wont go into).

At the time I set this unit up ATI didn't have a working DVD player for XP, so I rolled back to Win 98. But they have since re-released their player for XP.

Both the Voodoo and the ATI support 640 x 480 or 800 x 600, but the later can be quite hard to read on a TV unless you enlarge your fonts. As I am sure you know TV displays are interlaced - only half the scan lines are drawn at one time, then the alternating lines are drawn. This means that under the best of conditions a computer display on a TV will seem "jittery". Fine for games, but not ideal for web suffering or document reading.

When I do upgrade to a HDTV I'll probably buy a dedicated DVD player with Progressive Scan, meanwhile this setup works pretty well.

ATI is generally considered to have the best TV outs. The NVIDIA TV outs are supposed to be the same quality but there are driver issues and NVIDIA doesnt worry about the TV outs that much.

For everything but TV OUTS I would usually recomend NVIDIA over ATI.

www.tomshardware.com has some good reviews on the TV outs of different cards.

Back