Anyone got J-Station (J-Edit) working in Windows 2000?

(M)

Their tech support guy told me that Windows 2000 is not supported. When I try to use it in Windows 2000, it gets about half way through loading patches and it crashes.

Has anyone had any success using it? I'm not sure if I have some stupid MIDI problem or if the thing really doesn't work. I notice most hardware mfgrs. don't acknowledge Windows 2000 compatibility (unless it's part of their marketing) - even though, alot of it works.

Anyone?

(M) said:
Their tech support guy told me that Windows 2000 is not supported. When I try to use it in Windows 2000, it gets about half way through loading patches and it crashes.

Has anyone had any success using it? I'm not sure if I have some stupid MIDI problem or if the thing really doesn't work. I notice most hardware mfgrs. don't acknowledge Windows 2000 compatibility (unless it's part of their marketing) - even though, alot of it works.

I don't know what it takes to convince you, but yes, really and truly J-Edit doesn't work in W2000. It only works through Win98SE, AFAIK.

The difference between these platforms is not trivial.

I think the J-Station is essentially orphaned since Johnson was bought out, so I don't expect any big updates, either. I don't think they're even making them anymore, as they've been dropped from a number of catalogs I've seen recently following closeouts of existing stock.

In that I have a SeaSound, my DAW box has to run W98SE anyway, so it's no big sacrifice. The J-Station/J-Edit works perfectly in that environment, though I noticed a lot differences after upgrading the firmware from 1.5 to 1.6 (apparently final version).

Good luck!

I'm a tweaker (by nature) - never convinced that something can't work. There's always a solution. I thought someone here might have hacked it.

The fact that it gets halfway through the patches tells me that it's *close* to working. Since I've got everything else working in Windows 2000, I definitely have no desire to go back to Windows 98 - 2000 is soooo much more stable.

Thanks for your reply. Luckily you can do "deep" editing from the panel controls - just not as intuitive, I guess.

(M)

Yeah, I know. I wish I could run W2000 for my audio box too, but there are apparently a lot of things one can do to get W98SE to be more stable in a dedcicated recording box. I'm pursuing some how-to files on this now.

Hey, I wish I could run it all on _Linux_!

But I can't. Neither J-Station nor SeaSound are going to support any new OSs in this lifetime.

I found that using the J-Edit program was a lot easier and definitely worth the effort to install, however.

I just found a dedicated J-station forum. One of the posters here says that a revised J-edit is due out in August...we'll see about that.

(M) said:
I just found a dedicated J-station forum. One of the posters here says that a revised J-edit is due out in August...we'll see about that.

Wow! Interesting!

I doubt that it'll support W2000, however. The last revisions have been pretty limited in scope, and with J-Station sort of over with, I don't see them really going crazy with new developments for it.

We'll see. Thanks for the link!

new j-edit

good news: they got a new j-edit w/ new amps and cabinets!!
but..... the firmware updater doesn't work w/ ME?!? awww, crap!

Have you tried the new J-Edit (1.2)? It must have just shown up there. I'll have to find someone still running Windows98 to do the firmware update.

Pretty chicken shit to release new software these days without supporting today's operating systems IMHO.

(M) said:
Have you tried the new J-Edit (1.2)? It must have just shown up there. I'll have to find someone still running Windows98 to do the firmware update.
I'm downloading it now. I just upgraded the firmware from v1.5 to 1.6 and am sort of confused by its treatment of the presets, so we'll see what v2 is like. I'm really not all that up on this as I just got my music computer built and am only now getting all the gear integrated.

Pretty chicken shit to release new software these days without supporting today's operating systems IMHO.
W2000 isn't really a "consumer" OS intended for the average user's stand-alone box, so I can understand it. Now, _I_, use it for a stand-alone box for its relative stability, but that's not common. ME was sort of a dud, actually slower than W98SE for most stuff and with some weird TCP/IP stack that causes a lot of grief to some internet dialup and firewall programs, which is why I personally dropped it. I think I read about six major reviews of ME saying not to buy it and I don't think all that many people did.

All this will start over when Whistler's released. :D

W2000 isn't really a "consumer" OS intended for the average user's stand-alone box

My comment was really in reaction to Windows ME not being supported (it's almost the same as 98 - why the fuck not?!?). I expect (to some degree) for Windows 2000 to not be supported. No offense to you, but claiming that Windows 2000 isn't a "consumer" operation system is a lame copout taken by hardware companies too lazy to develop their programs completely. Windows 2000 is a very good OS for audio recording. Very stable. Dual booting was too much of a pain in the ass so I gave up on Windows 98 lameness. I guess XP will force software & hardware companies to get with the times.

I guess I wll have to keep on living without J-Edit. I bought the J-Station for the S/PDIF output mainly. I got what I paid for. I'm still glad I didn't buy a POD.

I don't think there's any way of upgrading to the v2 firmware without J-Edit, and it seems like it's a worthwhile improvement. I just upgraded and it's got some new models that look interesting (they go under "MORE" on the unit), and it fixed the problem I had with the v1.6 firmware.

My guess is that the J-Station is never going to be upgraded that much, simply because it seems to be an out-of-production item. I think that most of what we're seeing is models from the amp line being passed down to the J-Station on the cheap. Every time I read that thing about "your J-Station never becoming obsolete" I think of the episode where Homer Simpson bought a new computer.:D

Dual-boot systems can be a headache (which is why I just took advantage of the depressed prices on components and the opportunity of having some more cash than usual and built a dedicated box for my music recording) but if you are serious about fiddling with the J-Station, I think it would be worthwhile to try to get it worked out so you can use J-Edit. It makes deep editing extremely easy and very, very fast. Without J-Edit, I doubt I ever would have put my J-Station to any serious use. The factory presets are generally awful, but with some very easy tweaking, you can truly make some very Hi-$$$-sounding patches worthy of a sophisticated, "produced" recording. Until I started running J-Edit, I regarded the J-Station as a joke.

Immediately worthwhile is the access to the speaker models and reverb tweaking, only available in "deep editing." Doing that on-board the J-Station device is onerous.

Really, check it out sometime soon and see if you don't think it'd be worth the effort.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck getting decent reverb / effect settings from the front panel. I've been using a lot of soft effects lately so I haven't really missed them.

I'll give the new J-Edit a try in Windows 2000 tonight. Maybe I'll set up a 98 partition just to program a bunch of presets - sounds like a lot of work though.

Thanks for your replies.

Well, if it isn't one thing, it's another: It looks like the J-Station is incompatible with my recording hardware. Not a high enough sample rate in the digital output.

Back