Anyone got experience with any laney amps?

MatchBookNotes

HAPPY NEW YEAR(S)! I haven't been on here in a coons age, and was wondering if any of you fine chaps have ever fiddled the knobs of this british amp company? I remember trying a LC30 112 years ago in a boutique, but I am looking at a VC30 (i love el84s... sooo dirty) they seem to be comparable to a vox with tonnes more gain and slightly cheaper price tag and more speaker options.

feed back is appreciated :D

The LC is in similar price range to the VC yes?

Rugged amps? Which one has better head room between the two or at least a personal opionion on each.

The LC is in similar price range to the VC yes?

Rugged amps? Which one has better head room between the two or at least a personal opionion on each.

The VC is a little more money. The VC has more clean headroom, similiar to a Fender with 6L6's. The LC is more of a modern high gain amp.

VP

At a particular musical festival I attend, they use Mesa dual rectifiers and Marshalls as their backline for all the bands. I've seen two particular bands who when they travel to this festival from overseas, brought their Laney amps with them. They always sounded much more defined and less muddy than the backline amps.

I have a 30 watt Laney Tube fusion amp .... it's one of their lower priced solid state amps.
It actually sounded very good for a SS amp for about 5 or 6 gigs.
Now I just use it as a speaker cab since the amp blowed up real good!

I'm pretty sure their tube stuff would work for longer though.

I use Laney cabs in my bass rig. Absolutely briliant for the price. In the sense that you get more than you pay for, compared to a lot of other companies.
Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth only uses some of their cheaper amps too. Yet he gets a totally pro sound out of it all.

I use Laney cabs in my bass rig. Absolutely briliant for the price. In the sense that you get more than you pay for, compared to a lot of other companies.
Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth only uses some of their cheaper amps too. Yet he gets a totally pro sound out of it all.

I have the Laney NEXUS FET in my recording studio, it sits on top of an Ampeg Classic and 8x10 cab. The Ampeg has been developing an "Inferiority Complex"!

VP

I bought an LC a while back for recording, meh, Marshalls, Fenders and Blackstars have their own sound, Laney falls somewhere between them and doesn't do anything particularly well, the build quality isn't up to much, wasn't for me, let it go.

Get a Blackstar. :)

The Lionheart series are very well built, they are handwired in the UK. They are a work of art!

VP

Attachments

• Laney L20H Chassis.jpg
    Laney L20H Chassis.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Laney L20H Chassis 1.jpg
    Laney L20H Chassis 1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Laney L20H Chassis 2.jpg
    Laney L20H Chassis 2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 72
  • Laney L20H Chassis 3.jpg
    Laney L20H Chassis 3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 74
I have the Laney NEXUS FET in my recording studio, it sits on top of an Ampeg Classic and 8x10 cab. The Ampeg has been developing an "Inferiority Complex"!

VP

I use my Nexus cabs with a GK head. Best of US solid state head, with mid range, lightweight English cabs.
First amp I ever got was a small practise amp from Laney too. Make some solid stuff. I'd love to try out some other cabs too, but I'll always keep at least one of the Nexus cabs around.

I bought an LC a while back for recording, meh, Marshalls, Fenders and Blackstars have their own sound, Laney falls somewhere between them and doesn't do anything particularly well, the build quality isn't up to much, wasn't for me, let it go.

Get a Blackstar. :)

Don't like what i've heard of blackstar.

Unlike Laney, current Marshalls are not what they used to be. I bought and returned a few Marshalls in the last 10 years. I did keep however a 1974X, 1987X and HW1959, but I think I was robbed because of the price.

VP

Unlike Laney, current Marshalls are not what they used to be. I bought and returned a few Marshalls in the last 10 years. I did keep however a 1974X, 1987X and HW1959, but I think I was robbed because of the price.

VP

That's probably a fair comment, Marshalls ain't quite what they used to be, I made the move to Blackstar for that reason, then again Blackstar are ex-Marshall guys so maybe that tells a story.

I still don't think Laney are in the same league as Marshall, Blackstar or Fender.

Line 6, Crate, H&K maybe.

Just yesterday I was recording a girl who showed up with an LC 30 II. I wish she would have turned it up though, it was just too clean. Here are some other Laneys in my studio.

VP

Attachments

• Laneys in the studio 001.JPG
    Laneys in the studio 001.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Laneys in the studio 004.JPG
    Laneys in the studio 004.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Laneys in the studio 005.JPG
    Laneys in the studio 005.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Laneys in the studio 009.JPG
    Laneys in the studio 009.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Laneys in the studio 015.JPG
    Laneys in the studio 015.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 35
Just yesterday I was recording a girl who showed up with an LC 30 II. I wish she would have turned it up though, it was just too clean. Here are some other Laneys in my studio.

VP

Do you have any sound samples of anything recorded in that room?

I'd be interested in hearing them.

Back