Anyone else records everything by themself?

CyberDragon

I record all the tracks on my Tascam 488 MKII and was wondering if anyone else does the same? I usually record a guitar and generic drum track first, then add a bass track , then lead guitar track, then track over the drum track with real drums, then keyboards (if any), then last vocals. Does anyone have a better way? I'm not profession in any way shape or form, I do this for the kicks I get out of it , but I'm always looking for short cuts or ways to get a better sound….

I do that. I think just about everyone on this BBS does that! You've come to the right place! As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most inspirational places on the internet in a musical sense. I am constantly amazed at how great the music is around here.

I agree this is a very inspirational and informative BBS, I've spent hours and hours just looking around and reading messages here. I've learned a lot already. And like I said before, I'm just doing this for myself and the kicks it gives me....but I am quite surprised at the quality of the recording I can get with the very little equipment that I have. I've been playing with my Tascam 488 MKII just trying to figure out how to do what I want to do when I want to do it !! :) I haven't made a quality recording yet (meaning my playing ability not the recorder or recording) I've put together a few cover's, get back, back in the USSR, born to be wild, honky tonk women, ….. and like I said I am very surprised with the amount of control with the playback and mix down although I haven't gotten the kind of results I want with my drum set yet, but then I'm using condensers mic's that are at least 15 years old and have been through hell in that time too. It's amazing that they still work at all. There Pyramid Phase III's that I think I paid $25 for the pair at the time!!! :)
So thanks again and I'll be watching :)

Yep, me too.

I've played with various bands in the past, and we rocked, and it was very gratifying and exciting, but currently (for many years now) I've been a solo 'artist'.

Cyberdragon, you and I seem to have similar music tastes, and I'd be interested in trading tapes (or CDs) just for fun, and same goes for any other Tascam based 'soloists' interested in Beatles/Stones and various other 60's & 70's classic rock covers.

I have logged over 200 cover tunes on tape, and though not all were 'solo' and not all are 'gems', I have some solo productions that would probably blow your mind, or at the very least, entertain you and maybe help stimulate your own creativity.

This is an open offer to anyone interested in similar stuff. I could tell you about my setup and history, but I don't want to bore you, unless you really want to know. I've done quite a bit of elaboration on what gear I have, and what I've done, at length, on other posts on this BBS.

I'd like to trade tapes or CDs with other tapeheads with similar interests, just for fun, and to hear what other people are doing with their home studios.

I'm basically a regular guy.... a very talented regular guy... (haha). My name is David (Dave), and my outside email is d.archuleta@att.net

Pls contact me, but only serious users, no spammers!

BTW, I could forward (or post) a .jpg image, pic, of my home studio, that would probably blow most peoples' minds. Tascam users (Fostex, ok) and soloists contact me if you're interested. Serious only, no practical jokesters or antagonists!... you know who you are!

by yourself

hey cyber and reel,
i too am a newb to this BBS thing. i do all my recording
myself. play guitars, mandolins, banjos, bass. use drum
machine. have very cheap recording stuff. spend hours
and hours doing this. spend hours and hours on this
site. record rain. dogs barking and howling. i record
everything. have learned a lot on this site. damn, i think
i will quite typing and go record something. i don't have
a way to put music on the computer but would love to
trade cassette tapes sometime with yall just to see
what's going on.

e-mail nthompson@gcronline.com

dtb

I reread your original post and I may have misunderstood you. Most folks on this BBS do everything themselves, but not necessarily with a 488. I use either my MSR-16 16 track, or Cubase. But I do almost everything by myself!

no CMiller, I didn't mean to limit the question to only tascam users, Multitrackers in general was intended. I use a Tascam myself and do love it, but the question itself was for general recording ....
and Reel I would love to hear your recordings but as for me I haven't really recorded anything I'd care to share with the world yet LOL But I will work on it. You or anyone can contact me outside email as cyberdragon_1@hotmail.com

SOLO ARTISTS OF THE WORLD- UNITE!!!

HA! YANKED YOUR FRIGGIN' CHAINS- AGAIN!

But, seriously, DTB: 'hours and hours' become 'years and years', quite before you know it, and you will eventually settle into a framework that works for you, and you'll be able to produce stuff you're proud of, and want others to hear, so RIGHT ON, and keep it up.

CMiller, 1/2"/16tr is excellent. BTW, everyone here spans (not spams) the spectrum of recording, with a wide variance in tastes, equipment, and experience, etc, but somehow, we're all in it together, too. We all fit nicely, together under the 'Homerecording' umbrella.

I, personally, traditionally (over time) have been either a cassette Tascam Portastudio 4track person, or a 1/2" 8track reel person, but I'm currently not locked into any particular format, as I've scored masses of new (used) gear recently.

Formats that are happening at my house are currently:
-Cassette 4 track, (244, 424mkII),
-1/2" 8 track reel, (38),
-1/4" 4 track reel, (34, 34B),
-1/4" 8 track reel, (Tascam 388, Fostex Mdl80, Fostex A8),
-1/4" 2 track reel, (Tascam 32, Fostex Mdl20),
-1" 24 track reel, (MSR24, a recent acquisition that has not seen any real use yet,... it's still in the staging phases).
Did I miss any?
-I mix down to Minidisc, (I hear the boos & hisses),
-and CDr, (on my computer by mixing down to stereo, and recording .wav files with my computer's stereo soundcard),
-and I've found a way to make VHS HIFI VIDEOS of myself and my own jam sessions, which are near-CD quality audio. You can too, it's easy. You need a videocam w/tripod, a VHS Hifi deck, 2 mic's + a primary audio input stage, (such as a standard stereo cassette deck, or more elaborate mixer) and a few cables. Your video camera does NOT have to be Hifi.

Overall, I believe the music transcends the medium, definitely, but it is WAY COOL to have all this GREAT technology around me. You can have it too,... all it takes is MONEY.

BTW, it might seem like my 'collection' of stuff is 'over the top', but realistically, I've spent many, many years acquiring it. It didn't just happen overnight.

I started out originally with all sorts of jury-rigged cassette-to-cassette, tape-on-tape 'overdubs', and my first 'real' recording gear was a Portastudio (244), which I still have, to this day, and it still works great.

We all started with humble beginnings, but if you concentrate and practice your chops (both playing and recording technique), you will gain momentum fast.

We'll work on swapping around our music, and I'm sure with a little time and effort, it will be done. On another thread, (TascamBBS), the idea was floated to try tele-collaboration (my own word), thru shuttling around multitrack tapes between participating users. The only caveat to that, is that people need to decide on a format, which brings us back to our previous discussions.

All of us, and you who are reading and participating in discussions, need to do less web surfing, and more hands on playing and recording, myself included.

Now go play and record, or I'll KICK YOUR ASS(es)!

The swapping of mixdown tapes/CDr's, or whatever, CAN and WILL happen. I'll work on contacting every interested party, given enough time. PS, CD's take time to record, as do all the other mixdown formats, and we all want to show ourselves in a positive light, but given time, I guarantee every interested party will hear from me, maybe sooner than later.

HA! Cheers, DA/ ARP/ Dr. BS 2001

Last edited:
BTW, I too will not limit my horizons to sharing with Tascam users only, but this is the Tascam User's Forum page, so just the assumption was made... you know.

Anyway, Fostex people and computer based people are welcome to participate, of course, but you might find them on other pages of this BBS, more than this particular one. DA

As I said before I'm not a in any way shape or form a professional, I do this for the kicks it gives me. But I would like to hear one of the worst and best recordings you've done Reel (with all that equipment you have, how could you do a bad recording ??) you could send the wav files over the net if there not too big. Or send a tape and I'll add something of mine to it and return it to you or pass it on. If we could get a group of people to add to it I'm sure it wouldn't take long to have a full composite of song's to learn and get new ideas we could all put to use.

Also as for me I've had a Dokocorder 4 track reel to reel
a fostex x-26 tascam 488 and 488 MKII, ampex 2 track, and I use a Peavy Renown amp, univox les paul copy (I've had for 30 years!! never found a real Gibson I liked better!) fender tele, Rouge bass, Aria Pro II, Zoom GFX 707, Tama SwingStar drums w/ Zildjian and Paste cymbals, ASI 8 channel PA w/2 Speakers, a Pignose amp (I love that little amp) different mic's and mic stands also have a camcorder which I rarely use. I don't have the Dokorder any more and the fostex x-26 & tascam 488 is up for sell right now ... But I have fun with what I've got :)

Cool

Cydg,

Most of us are NOT professional musicians or recording engineers either, but there ARE a few REAL professionals lurking around this BBS, and bestowing their wisdom upon us, from time to time. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, so I won't flatter you any by naming you directly.

I'm sure you'd like to hear some of my best recordings, but I'm not sure you'd like to hear my worst ones. Sometimes I don't even want to hear them, but I suffer through them anyway, because I'm basically self-absorbed and vain, (HA!), and my you-know-what doesn't stink, either. (HA-HA!)

Your collection of stuff sounds as good as the next tapehead's stuff. What's more important is what you do with it. Anyone with real talent can get respectable results, despite the worst equipment, and someone with no real talent can not get good results, despite the best equipment, and I think we all fall somewhere in between. Members of this BBS really span (spam?) the entire range of recording. It's all cool. Newbies are as welcome as old-hands, and even has-beens or maybe-never-has-beens too. HA!

The good songs are in YOU, not in your equipment, and unfortunately, so are the BAD songs. That goes for all of us, and I include myself in almost every generalization I make, which are a great many. (HA).

You may notice that I like to joke around a lot, too.

I respect anyone who wants to play and record music on his own, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, (or the mirror, in my case). HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Yanked yer chains, AGAIN! HA!

But seriously, when the tape-swap begins, I'll probably send a CD and also a Cassette,... one for listening, another for feedback and maybe collaboration (of sorts).

I'm not so highbrow that I won't mix to cassette, but I prefer CDr, since it really sounds SO much better than cassette, any way you slice it.

Cheers, and good topic. Now let's all go into the studio, and 'record a winner for the Gipper'. HAAAAAAAA!

Always have done it all by myself. First with cheap reel-to-reels and cassette decks in various Rube Goldberg configurations. Had a lot of fun, but was never quite satisfied with the quality of recording available.

....years later, starting over from scratch I started out with a Porta-07 that I still use as a pre or a mixer. Basically it saved me loads of dough while I restrained my urge to buy what would sound pristine now while I waited for technology/my wallet to catch up and allow me to do it the way I really wanted to do it- direct to PC.

While the info I've obtained from the group mind at this site has been very helpful from time to time, the inspiration of hearing what they've done with similar equipment has been the major benefit to my hobby.
This do-everything-yourself deal is a lot of hard work and some aspects of it can be amazingly boring and/or frustrating. So the very concrete reminders I get here that I'm not just pissing into the wind help me get from idea to "final" recording in much the same way that a group of bicyclists drafting each other can go farther, faster than a lone cyclist.

Thanks for the draft, people.

You know when I had my Dokorder 4 track reel to reel I didn't know what to do with it, I knew how to work the reel , just didn't have the playing skill to put tracks down, I only had my les paul copy at the time no amp. So I sold the reel, then years later when I could figure out what to track, I had no multitrack machine. I had a cassette deck (stereo) and at that time a cheap 4 track cassette deck was in the $500 range (way out of my range at the time) So I spent $50 on a used cassette deck and ping ponged back and forth with the use of a radio shack mixer and was very surprised with the sound I got. (at the time) I think I even have some of those early recordings around here somewhere...
What I'm working on now is to get my real drums to sound like I want them too, so far my keyboard drums sound better..... oh well I WILL get it, sooner or later :) Anyway I still don't have much equipment but the equipment I do have makes it so much easier to record than before...It's still a lot of work, but in the end when you hear the final playback it's all work it even if it's not a "gem" it's still worth it ...
Also Reel, I suggested tape because I don't know how many have access to CD burners. I can burn a CD but not here at the house, I use one at work and have to burn it from tape, so I'm thinking what's the point of that response would be what I could get on tape anyway  And yes I would like to hear your worst recording, it would give me a gage to use  after hearing some of the Beatles first "drafts" it makes me think I still have a chance LOL !!!

Dokorder-
is a name I have not heard or thought of for at least 20 years! Wow, that' s vintage!

DrSTwl, yes, it's true, the technology itself can be all consuming, and frustrating too, especially on PC recording. With all the gear I've accumulated, and currently some are 'fixers', I still try to remember that I'm in it to make music, not to get all teched-out.

...that goes for the web, too, and even though I find subjects on certain BBS's fascinating, and I enjoy communicating with other like minded tapeheads, I really do spend way too much time on the web, which detracts from my playing and recording in the studio.

Recently, I rearranged my home studio, and all my V & A gear got proper placement in the studio, but, guess what the 'casualties' were: the computer(s) and the TV--
OUT of the studio... so, literally, by definition, when I'm on the web, it takes me away from the studio. (Previous to this, at least when I was on the web, I was also 'in' the studio, physically anyway).

I have a busy life, etc, and we all do, but I still have to try to make a daily effort to do hands-on practicing and/or recording, almost every day. Granted, I think practice is valuable, and for best results, I think that one should practice up, before spinning tape.

Hey Reel, how about sending me a pic of your set up. I'd like to see how everything is set up, maybe get some new ideas for mine. You can post here or send to my email. BTW got that cd ready yet? :)

Yes, I don't know, and yes.

-Sure, I'll post a pic to you in the email, thanx for asking. I'll search back thru this thread, and note all the email addresses onto MS Notepad, for future reference.

-I'm not sure you'll 'get any ideas' from looking at my setup, except, 'ohmygod, that guy's insane!'.

-Yes, I've been combing through the archives, and really I have a wealth of material, average, good and great examples of home recording. Remember, it's HOME recording, and I'm not a professional musician or producer!

The truly lousy stuff will remain deeply buried, somewhere in the vaults! Haha. No, actually, reason dictates that if something is really that awful sounding on TAPE, I'm surely not going to waste my time to dub it to CD.

My CD burner is on the COMUTER, and I'm trying to spend as little time as possible 'geeking out', so a stand alone CD burner has become better and better of an idea to me, lately.

Anyway, it's hard to stop 'geeking out' on the computer, when I do part of my job on the computer, and have the computer as the central CD/music archiving station, and also I find a couple of BBS's that I participate in to be really entertaining, and sometimes almost fascinating.

Any time I'm checking a BBS or posting, I'm geeking out, and it does wear me out a little. I get eye strain if I 'geek out' too much, and if I really overdo it, I get hand strain (carpal tunnel).

Geeking out on the computer keeps me away from the studio, and I'm working on that issue, but basically, it's either one or the other. Geeking out on the computer, or doing something in the studio. Not both simultaneously, since I moved the c'puter out of the studio.

Anyway, without geeking out much further, I want to say that I've contemplated MANY, MANY songs and songlists, but when you have 200+ archived recordings, from almost 20 years, the choices and possibilities are endless, so I haven't set anything down yet, I've been brainstorming it.

To say I could represent my best recordings on a single cd, might be too optimistic. All told, end to end, A to Z, my recordings fill up about 10 CD's. Deciding on my ONE CD's worth of my 'best' recordings is a difficult task, at best.

Granted, all of those recordings are not gems, but a great many of them are... if you're into cover tunes, like I am.

Also, I've been contemplating a short info format to go with the CD, detailing the songs with: title, artist, album, year, production format, what I play or don't play, what I like about the song, what I don't like about the song & general notes. I may have covered songs you may never have heard before, and definitely some you have. Needless to say, just throwing a few CD's together is a lot of work, but I'll do it.

Remember, it's a 2 way street, at least, and I'd like to hear other users' recordings too. I prefer CD format, but would be ok with tape.

Anyway, you might not get any tips or ideas about your studio by looking at mine, but maybe you will. I'll mention a few points that come to mind.

First, I have all this recording gear ideally to use, and record, and so on. Everything I intend to use must be layed out so it's as accessible as possible. If I bothered to buy all this gear, I don't want it to be stuffed in a box in the garage somewhere, I want it where it's just in reach.

I need a quick 'drop in and play' setup, to capture my creativity, which is sometimes fleeting. Ease if use and accessibility is IMPORTANT to me, and that's a BIG reason I SHUN DIGITAL AND DAW. I don't really want to get all geeked out on technical issues, when all I really want to do is play music and record. This was one of many reasons I HATED the Tascam US428, but I won't get off on THAT tangent, now.

Back to the basic setup, I like to keep cable runs as short as possible, and also to keep signal level cables away from power cables and transformers, as much as possible.

2nd, if you have a TV or computer in the studio, TURN IT OFF when you record, because it will create a lot of interference and ambient noise. My computer and TV were removed from the studio, through part of a major rearrangement that I did recently. I'd probably prefer to have a TV and computer back in the studio for convenience's sake, but I just ran out of room. (The pic will explain this).

3rd, I have all my main instruments layed out so they are accessible too. It's just a one room studio, and I'm really cramped for space now, especially since I got all this 'extra' equipment.

Mainly what I would try to point out, is that everything in the studio is accessible and functional. I have everything I need, and then some, all in this moderately sized space.

The only other thing that may go without saying, is that I think the studio is there to be a place of 'activity', and not just a room with a lot of stuff set up just to look at.

Having said that, I'll check a few more posts, and sign off. I'm too 'geeked out' on the comuter already, today.

Cheers, and I'll post a few pics, and a few notes.

PS: recently my wife's biggest complaint was 'you spend all your time on that damn internet... all you ever do is 'reply'! -Honest truth.

I want to refocus myself so I hear my wife say, 'you spend all your time in that damn studio, playing that damn music! All you ever do is whang whang whang on that damn guitar!'. -HAHA

Last edited:
Very impressive, and I do understand about wasting time on the computer.

So with that said I'm outa here....

I hesitate to even post a pic of my set up..... but here it is anyway....

Later

Attachments

• cyberdragonstudio1.jpg
    cyberdragonstudio1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
Alright Cyberdragon!

Thanx, and your studio is nice. It looks like my studio did, before I amassed a ridiculous amount of stuff.

I could post other 'vintage' pictures of my studio, and it would give you a very good idea of my 'roots', and that when I say your setup looks much like mine did, some years ago, that I'm not kidding.

I'll find and scan some of those older photos, someday.

Trust me, my setup used to look much like yours. Sleek, simple, and functional. Now, by my own admission, it is 'over the top', but at some point my mentality changed, and I went into 'collector' mode.

Re: by yourself

dtb said:
hey cyber and reel,
record rain. dogs barking and howling. i record
everything. have learned a lot on this site.
e-mail nthompson@gcronline.com

dtb

Hey DTB,
I was wondering what you do with all the recordings of real life sounds. Are you composing an effects library or do you use them in songs? Just curious.

Back