Anyone else prefer SD condensors for vocals?

randyfromde

I am pretty new to home recording, so I've been experimenting with all the equipment I own in different combos, instead of going with just the "traditional" uses of each mic.

I've found that I am completely backwards on my preferences. I bought 2 MK012's for recording acoustic guitar, but I prefer using a MXlV67 to record guitar parts. I bought the MXLV67 for vocals, but I prefer the MK012 or the Shure PG57 I have.

Anyone else like this?

My Neumann KSM184 sounds really good on vocals, and I have heard that Seal used it to record an album. Not hat a SD would be my first choice on vocals, but they are certainly useful.

A lot of good albums have been recorded using handheld dynamics.. real multi-million dollar albums. The real mark of a good engineer is that they throw out the common pre-conceptions about what's good for what and go with what actually sounds good.

I've definitely heard at least 2 or 3 vocalists who sound best with an SD condensor.

"Anyone else prefer SD condensors for vocals?"

No... most of the time I prefer LDC's or dynamic mic's.

"I've definitely heard at least 2 or 3 vocalists who sound best with an SD condensor."

I guess I am one of those guys! I guess it's just something about the clarity I am getting which I like. Based on my equipment so far, I think my voice works the best 6" from the MK-012 and using a pop screen. When I was in a studio, they used a Shure KSM32 which wasn't bad, maybe that'll be my next purchase for comparison purposes.

Well KSM32 is a mid-sized diaphragm, in between SD and LD. Although I haven't had too much luck singing into SD condensers, I use LD's for acoustic, mostly AKG C414B-ULS. I've also done some pretty good tracks singing into another mid-sized diaphragm mic, AKG C2000B.-Richie

Richard -

What constitutes "mid-size" condensors? I've started seeing this come up...I'm pretty comfortable with what constitutes "small", but I just figured everything else was large?

Randy-

Try your 2 Octavas in an coincident X/Y stereo setup for vox. I used my (similar sounding) MXL 603's in that configuration with good results - sort of fattens up the sound.

Randy- although it varies a little, LD's are about 1", SD's about 1/2", mid-size about 3/4". Mid size diaphragm mics are often ideal for someone who sounds good with a smaller diaphragm. AT4033, AKG C2000B, and Shure KSM32 are all standards. The question I don't know the answer to is- does anybody make a high-end mid size diaphragm mic? Neumann, Soundelux, Shoeps, Earthworks, etc.? Beats me.- Richie

Lots of good tips guys, thanks! For right now, I'll make due with what I have. I guess since there is a "mid-size" category now (to me), I'll make my next mic purchase something from there. Most likely the KSM32, since I've already tried it and liked the results that the engineer got.

Of course, got to get a quality preamp first....hehehe

Back