anyone else having Windows 10 issues?

my windows 10 system is now crashing about 6 times a week.
tonight within 1 hr Ive had 2-windows shutdown-> collecting error info reboots.

when I leave the pc on wifi and get home the screen is always frozen and I reboot.
if I dont leave the system on the internet, turn off wifi....no freezing issues.

so Im now partitioning my problem
1) is it chrome?
closed down chrome and moved to Firefox.
2) is it my hardware overheating or failing?
time will tell (better get my back ups done)
3) it is windows 10 crashing my system
if the crashees continue I will go a week without this pc attached to the internet.
this will refuse all windows updates....

add
4) seems the 4-5 crashes are now all during Yahoo Mail....interesting

or maybe its Windows 10 updates, or maybe I need my Browsers updated or I need my emails updated or my adblock updated or my virus software updated or my firewall updated....or my asshole updated....

Im gettin tired of flooding of updates...

my stratocaster sits here, never needing updated, my Shure KSM mic doesnt need gdconstant updates....my rack gear doesnt need updates every day and crash 16 times a week due to updates not updating well with the other updates needed.

I might do what I should have done a 100yrs ago and never put the internet on my recording pc.
My cheap Chromebook $150 laptop has never crashed like this...and if it gets slow I wipe it clean.

5) turn off wifi and internet connections and shut down all updates on this pc!!
this option has the highest probabilty of fixing the crashing system problem...

:cursing:

As a general rule with Win7 and later (to include 10), computer crashing is 99% of the time hardware failure. If it had been running OK, then starts crashing, then you can bet you has something up in your hardware. Drivers can cause crashes, but that is rare and once again often times it is due to hardware failure.

To date, since Win7, I have only had crashes when my hardware was failing.

I have begun the test of never being on the internet with this pc and will update in a week or so if no issues.
This will eliminate the software updating frenzy.

We just got new pcs at work and everythings being upgraded then the printers dont work so new printers are bought.
Not a big deal but throwing away good stuff because the drivers of the printer dont work with Windows 8&10 was another $40 and $60 for ink.

I worry its hardware and backup is top priority this weekend....Ive lost hardrives before.

To be honest, Pinky, I'm not sure why you're so upset; Upset enough to privately tell me to piss off and call me an asshole?

The Mac/PC debate that you're trying to quash was ignited, and is being fuelled by, you.
Everyone else is having a pretty honest conversation about operating system flaws/issues.

I'm not sure why you want to twist words and move the goalposts around so much but I'd ask you not to privately, or publicly, insult people in future.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for years. People who write viruses want attention, and you don't get as much attention limiting your virus to 20% of the market.

That's all fine, but purely from a user perspective, why should we care about why it is happening? I only care that it is happening.

The Spring update rolled onto my recording computer last night, and it did actually jack with the drivers to a UR22mkII I had plugged into the computer at the time. My RME interface wasn't affected one bit, but the Steinberg required a reinstall of the drivers. None of the other peripherals that are plugged into that machine were affected either. I've got a Roland Rubix 22 on hand that I can try as well to see if its drivers were affected.

I've got a Lexicon Alpha plugged into my other computer, so I'll be curious to see if it is affected once this update rolls onto that machine.

Is that really relevant to the spate of issues listed in here?

Sure, maybe you can argue that MS has to push more frequent updates to keep on top of viruses (not sure if that's true), but it doesn't really excuse the problems you guys are describing.

As Pinky said,
I just wish they put their abundant resources into pretesting these releases and reduce the number of those negatively affected.

For info - I had the latest Windows 10 update message today - even with updates switched off - this is on my fully stable, happily working music computer system.

I decided to do it. It took a LONG time to download and install, I popped back after 15 mins and it was on 21%, so went and did something else in the edit suite - Windows 8, which didn't ask me to download the latest important version. Just after lunch it finished and I logged in and tried Cubase - the e-licenser caused grief and when I tried to do the usual maintenance tasks on it - one of my dongles 'has a problem' - the suggestion was to download the latest e-licenser, which I did, and this time all the dongles were recognised and it started up fine, and runs with no issues at all. I can't see any real benefits - the only real thing I noticed was that I had to give permission first startup for all kinds of nasty things - questions about targeted advertising, with the inference that saying no would still give you adverts, just not ones you might want to see. No option to NOT see adverts. Lots of marketing style questions, locational questions and stuff like that. Nothing useful at all. Considering the size and time it took, there must be a fair number of added or replaced things under the hood - but no idea what they are.

So - the latest major update caused me no issues at all, bar a bit of time, and the need to update one thing.

Mac or Windows. Who cares... I use what works for me now. That could change... Not moving until shit quits working...

#1 for me would be don't update shit on your recording computer. Have a separate computer for stuff like this site. :thumbs up:

ok...crashed again just now. I saw a quick bleep "scanning and repairing drive C now..."

I was not using Chrome and all that so thats been eliminated.

Suspects still at large:
Yahoo
Online- (virus ware? bad updates?)
Hardware....seems to be # 1 suspect per inputs...and this mornings cdrive error.

as of 7:25am Texas time I am shutting off all Wifi internet to this pc and will see if it crashes. (if so = hardware)
in the meantime I will be going to BestBuy and get a back up drive.

hell maybe I was blaming Windows 10 and its just a pos hardrive thats only 3-4yrs old?

I'd take a backup of anything important, if you haven't already, just incase.
Do you have a spare drive kicking around? If you, you could clone one to the other then run off the clone for a while, to rule out the physical disk.

Maybe someone can recommend specific software, but if there's a an equivalent to DriveDX out there, it might prove very useful.
DriveDX gives a ridiculous amount of info, along with health, life left, and performance as estimated percentages.

Crashes that frequent are probably hardware if not driver faults.

I switched my systems (not Windows, but still applicable IMO) to SSD for the system drives and then I have mirror (RAID 1) external, spinning drives for my projects. I also have an external drive, separate from the project arrays, for backups that I run periodically, but not all the time, since I do not do much updating of my systems. I'm not protected against catastrophic failures, like a lightning strike that wipes out everything, but if something like that happens, well, I was probably sitting at the computer when it happened, so the least of my worries ;).

I turn off Wi-Fi when I have people over my little home-spun recording stuff, just to avoid any possible time wasting, but for my own noodling around don't bother.

Crashes that frequent are probably hardware if not driver faults.

I switched my systems (not Windows, but still applicable IMO) to SSD for the system drives and then I have mirror (RAID 1) external, spinning drives for my projects. I also have an external drive, separate from the project arrays, for backups that I run periodically, but not all the time, since I do not do much updating of my systems. I'm not protected against catastrophic failures, like a lightning strike that wipes out everything, but if something like that happens, well, I was probably sitting at the computer when it happened, so the least of my worries ;).

I turn off Wi-Fi when I have people over my little home-spun recording stuff, just to avoid any possible time wasting, but for my own noodling around don't bother.

seems this is close to the issue..... i was off the internet and it crashed while doing Reaper.

all of my Reaper files wouldnt load up as usual either when I pulled up Reaper, all the recent projects gave some error popup.
all the files were still on the drive but i had to load the media files manually.

somethings not well and it appears it crashes with Wifi Off, Windows Defender off, not using any browser.

its about a $200+ tower, windows 8 with free Windows 10 upgrade back in the day.
Im not fully convinced all these updates arent the reason but no time to waste getting going on the backup business.
the last error stating "repairing cdrive" probably isnt good.

thanks for the inputs.

seems this is close to the issue..... i was off the internet and it crashed while doing Reaper.

all of my Reaper files wouldnt load up as usual either when I pulled up Reaper, all the recent projects gave some error popup.
all the files were still on the drive but i had to load the media files manually.

somethings not well and it appears it crashes with Wifi Off, Windows Defender off, not using any browser.

its about a $200+ tower, windows 8 with free Windows 10 upgrade back in the day.
Im not fully convinced all these updates arent the reason but no time to waste getting going on the backup business.
the last error stating "repairing cdrive" probably isnt good.

thanks for the inputs.

The Times I was fighting blue screen crashes, it was 2 unrelated hardware issues. I had a stick of RAM go bad on me, which caused random BSoD crashes.

And I had a finicky motherboard that didn't get along with my graphics card. That One didn't cause crashes, just degraded audio system performance. But on an audio workstation, that wasn't acceptable.

I'd suggest grabbing the free dump browser called BlueScreenView. When your computer crashes, it creates a dump file with clues about what caused the crash. It might help you isolate where the fault is.

My office PC would occasionally BSOD and intermittently not restart Windows without a few tries. Copied c-drive to SSD. Still did it. It was a stick of ram that went bad...

I definitely don't regret getting the SSD tho. :)

I ran the simple MDSCHED.exe and should have done that earlier, it tests the system?iguess... and came up with Hardware problems detected.
Its not done running yet, but if its RAM sticks that would be ok.

bought a $50 1Tb usb backup and did that. almost sprang for a SSD and no movings parts sounded great but its 3x's the cost. Next time?

add> the first time I ran this it stalled for a long time >20 minutes
Second time I pulled a ram stick...left one in and retried the MDSCHED...it ran longer then had the Hardware error again.

Third time, tossed that stick and put in the other one and it worked. The MDSCHED runs fairly quickly and counts up to 100% and shouldnt stall , the percenbtage keeps increasing every 3-4 seconds.

Attachments

• 20180519_152951.jpg
    20180519_152951.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My office PC would occasionally BSOD and intermittently not restart Windows without a few tries. Copied c-drive to SSD. Still did it. It was a stick of ram that went bad...

I definitely don't regret getting the SSD tho. :)

the MDSCHED.EXE said hardware....so I took out 1 of the 2 ram sticks after your post, why not?
.....still error.

Put in the other stick and took out the other one and it worked!
one bad PNY memory stick, of 8Gig.
ran the MDSCHED.EXE and no errors.
thanks for the inputs again..... Im glad it wasnt the hard drive. just a memory stick much less hassle.

Ran Reaper for 5hrs no issues.

The Times I was fighting blue screen crashes, it was 2 unrelated hardware issues. I had a stick of RAM go bad on me, which caused random BSoD crashes.

And I had a finicky motherboard that didn't get along with my graphics card. That One didn't cause crashes, just degraded audio system performance. But on an audio workstation, that wasn't acceptable.

I'd suggest grabbing the free dump browser called BlueScreenView. When your computer crashes, it creates a dump file with clues about what caused the crash. It might help you isolate where the fault is.

yeah RAM here...I guess it wasnt Windows 10 and software after all.
Mine was PNY..

Back