Anybody using the Akai DPS 16i?

drstawl

Banned
True 24-bit 96kHz uncompressed recording! 10GB hard drive, SCSI port for linking up to 7 external devices, 10-track simultaneous recording, 16-track simultaneous playback, 24-bit and 16-bit digital audio format, sampling rates from 32kHz to a full 96kHz, 56-bit internal processing, 24-bit A/D and D/A converters, 8 analog inputs (2 XLR, 6 balanced 1/4”), OK what's the format on the other two tracks?
phantom power support, high-impedance input select for direct support of guitars and basses...

MF has a blem for $1740

Doc:

Don't buy it!!! Its probably mine. I bought a blemished one from them about a month and a half ago for $1500. Needless to say, it didn't work. They dropped the ball on every aspect of the return and effectively ended my dealings with them. Went to a store in pittsburgh last night and forked over for a new one and real human service. Then again, you're luck might be better than mine.

DPS16i

I have been using mine for a while now, and I think it's great. The other two inputs are the digital stereo tracks, via coaxial type SPDIF. There are quite a few people using this unit and I have yet to hear someone that is unsatisfied. There is also a great progrom written by a user that allows you to load an entire project into your computer via CDR backup. That way you can edit and mix with plugins to your heart's content.

Re: DPS16i

Hey ffmada,

What program lets you hook up the DPS to a computer, can you get me info on that! Thanks.

sondriven

This is where you can download Deep Stripper
http://www.alive.co.il/deeps

This is the program that lets you open of individual wave file from your CDR backup. It is extremely easy to use and the guy that wrote it is constantly trying to make it better.:)

There is also a program that Akai has called MESA DPS editor. You can download it at http://www.akaipro.com/software-MESApc.html

It is about half way down the page. I have not personally used this because I do not have a SCSI card in my computer. I am not sure how well it work with the DPS 16 yet either, although I know a few DPS 12 user's that like it. The manual is at http://www.akaipro.com/downloads.html
Note* At this time it looks like they only have a MAC manual available.:)

Since you obviously already have a CDRW drive, I would suggest you use the first program.

Oh yeah, If you do not need to edit individual tracks on the computer then you could easily get a cheap card with SPDIF in/out and mix down strait to your computer. The reason I sometimes edit on the computer is not really because of the editing features(they are about the same as on the Akai) but more so I can utilize all these expensive plugins I bought before I got my Akai.:D

ffmada,

Hey I just got a sound card last week for the computer and it does have SPDIF in/out, but can you please tell me all the information on how to hook my akai to the computer and all that stuff. Im not computer iliterate but I am new to this digital recording thing. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

sondriven

Simple deal. Each cable handles communication in one direction on two channels (a stereo pair).
LIke MIDI connections, out to in and in to out. Done deal.
Don't use an audio RCA cable. Use at a minimum a video cable and preferably a S/PDIF cable with some nicer connectors.
You'll also need to specify to your recording software that you expect it to use data appearing at the digital input as opposed to the analog input (if any). You also might need to specify AES/EBU or S/PDIF if either system supports both.

Back