Anybody Use RACE DECK for flooring?

MikeDMusic

I'm building a studio in my garage it's one room about 14 by 23 feet with 9-10 foot ceilings...I'm not floating the floor because it's far to compicated and far too expensive...I want to put in laminate hard wood flooring A. cause it looks nice b. Cause it will hopefully give my room some life...after all my other acoustical treatments are taken care of. However...My father is the one who is helping me build it and he wanted to put in this interlocking flooring system called Race Deck...they use it for car showroom floors and garages and stuff. It's sort of this hard rubber/plastic kind of material. I was wondering if anybody had had any experience with this product and if you think it would be a good idea for the floor of a live/Control room. Or should I try and stick to the laminate flooring? Also...Our garage just has a concrete floor...would I be able to install whatever flooring I end up using directly onto the concrete. Or should we build a floor off of the concrete? Thanks a lot.

Mike

I don't know anything about Race Deck but I just wanted to let you know of another option. We also have a concrete floor but instead of installing flooring we cleaned the concrete (very well) and did an acid based stain. It was fast, easy, and inexpensive.

The brand we used was named Kemiko. A search in Google should find their site for you and no... I do not work for the company :D

Peace,
Brad

How's the room sound? Any Good? Have you been able to compare it to a room with other flooring of a similar size and shape? Thanks

The room isn't yet complete but I cannot imagine that a laminate floor would 'sound' any different than the concrete. Both are very hard surfaces and it'll really be the dimensions and acoustical treatments that make the room 'sound' good ;)

The interlocking rubber flooring will have two advantages over the laminate.

It will be easier to stand on for long periods.

It will helpr prevent vibrations from traveling through the floor into the mic stands.

But laminate will definitly look better.

Back