Anybody upgrade their HDD with the new solid state stuff?

studiogenocide

Thinking about getting a new solid state drive. Has anyone taken the plunge? Currently using two 500 gb seagate 7200 rpms.

I changed over to a Corsair Nova 60gb ssd on my daw and couldn't be happier. It's much, much quicker than a spinner, espeically when opening and using apps like SoundForge. All tracks are still kept on conventional HD's, but processing those tracks in my mixing app(N Tracks) is vastly improved.

I use windows 7-32bit, on an i5 650, with 4gb of ram.
You can keep those two drives and reclaim space by moving the OS to an ssd.

Yeah what michaelst said, you'll get a massive improvement on performance when rendering, processing etc! less chance of failure too!

But we all make regular backup's don't we?? :p

go for it if you have the cash! :)

Muzza

I have heard from Windows enthusiasts that the OS should go on the SSD, so that sounds like a sure bet. I was wondering if I should get one for active tracks, but the dang things are a little pricey right now.

If you can spring for it, it's worth it. My MacBook Pro (17") has the 500 GB SSD (internal). Fast? Ooh yeah. Coupled with 8 GB RAM, this machine waits for nothing. I know you should never say never, but I will never go back to spinning platters! :)

Yeah what michaelst said, you'll get a massive improvement on performance when rendering, processing etc! less chance of failure too!

Actually, from what I've heard, the failure rates are comparable unless you're in a mobile environment (laptop). I haven't spent much time verifying that, of course. Either way, you should still have backups even if you're using SSDs. :)

Back