anybody own a peavey 6x10?

treymonfauntre

Magic Bag Of Sounds
found this on craigs list for $60! looks like an early 90s model maybe, totally generic classic peavey look to it. 6 10" speakers with nothing but some random numbers written on the back. only markings near the input jack is the serial number. no clue what model it is even!

i have no clue what impedance to run this at! i use a tube head with a switch on the back for 16 8 or 4 ohms, so i don't want to hook it up.

Most voltmeters have an ohm meter as well, just plug in a speaker cable then check ohm rating from positive (tip) to ground (sleeve). It will tell where to set the impedance.

thanks! so if a 6x10 is 4ohms what would each speaker be? it looks like its wired parallel but i'm still learning about this so i am probably wrong

six tens are short at 125 & under.

Remember that playin bass through 6 10's is going to be missing the serious deep hz sound-preasure stuff.
I should know--- yea it's a wimp. I'm on it with a 400 watt peavey top. -Needs a big sub-then it can roar above 250 hz....

you've got one? i'm waiting for tomorrow to see if i'm gonna use it for guitar or bass. i've been playing with a 2x15 for a while so i'm welcoming the change.

jjf323 said:
Remember that playin bass through 6 10's is going to be missing the serious deep hz sound-preasure stuff.
Maybe if it's guitar speakers that's true ...... but 10's are almost a standard in high end bass rigs nowadays. I use a 2-10 Gallien kruger on top of a 4-10 Ampeg SVT-HLF and it's got all the lows you could ask for. I use a 5-string too. The Ampeg cab is tuned for I think 45hz.

treymonfauntre said:
you've got one? i'm waiting for tomorrow to see if i'm gonna use it for guitar or bass. i've been playing with a 2x15 for a while so i'm welcoming the change.

I've got one; it's a guitar cabinet. I used to play a 50 watt Marshall through it and it sounded pretty good.

well one of the speakers is blown. the dust covers are aluminum or something weird like that. but anyway, everything seems like its wired in parallel, so what ohm would that be if its 6 speakers? sorry for asking such a dumb question if its real obvious.

treymonfauntre said:
well one of the speakers is blown. the dust covers are aluminum or something weird like that. but anyway, everything seems like its wired in parallel, so what ohm would that be if its 6 speakers? sorry for asking such a dumb question if its real obvious.

Aluminum dust covers aren't weird; JBL, Altec, Eminience, etc. have been using them for decades. As to the overall impedance, if they are all in parallel, simply divide the impedance of one speaker by the number of speakers. For 16 ohm speakers (if that's what they are), the total impedance would be 16/6=2.667 ohms. If one is blown, cut it out of the circuit to get 16/5=3.2 ohms.

treymonfauntre said:
i hooked up a voltmeter and got 4 ohms out of the box.

But that's DC resistance, and speaker impedance is different. Speaker impedance is the DC resistance plus the reactive impedance, which only shows itself when the speaker is being driven and changes with frequency. You would be safe to assume that the impedance is at least 4 ohms. If all speakers are working and all are in parallel, I would hazard a guess that they are 32 ohm speakers and the aggregate impedance of the array is 5.3 ohms.

Back