Anybody know what a Peavey VMP-1 is worth?

Bassman Brad

Well, gang, I guess the title says it all. I saw one in a small town music store today. Mono all-tube preamp. Looks brand new, but it's not in a box, and I'm pretty sure it's been used, but well taken care of. The store provides sound systems to artists who come through town and has racks full of odds and ends that they eventually cycle through the store.

Seems like kind of a rare bird. None available on eBay right now. Hardly any references on Google, even. I've already done a search here on this board and found some user critiques (some good, some not), but mostly on the fancier two channel version that also has a tube eq section. This is strictly a mic pre. One knob. That's it.

I'm tempted. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Brad

It is not a 1 channel version of a VMP2, so do not confuse the 2. From what I recall they were called the TMP1 (though there may have been a few realeased as VMPs...), and were nowhere near as good as their big brother. I suggest trying it out, and if you like it make an offer of $50 or $60.

Phantom power is under-spec, which will matter with some mics.

Might be a fun thing to have around just for the hell of it. I wouldn't pay much for it. It's not a single-channel version of the VMP-2 if that's what you were wondering.

Yeah, I noticed that it said 24 volts for phantom power. Strange.

Anybody ever used one of these? Or can you tell me anything about it? What's the difference between this and the VMP-2, other than not having an EQ section?

Oh, and if you were going to try to mod this thing into something usable, what changes would you make? Roll the tubes, drop in a Jensen transformer, uh, anything else? :confused:

Back