Anybody here using multiple Firepods?

AndrewClaycomb

I'm using 2 at once, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire everything. I've found that only the "first" firepod will allow hardware monitoring instead of DAW monitoring. I don't like this, because I have two 8 channel snakes, one on each side of my tracking room. So the closest snake may not be the one I can use (If I want latency free monitoring.) Latency doesn't really bother me in the control room, but some musicians really can't handle it very well, particularly acoustic players.

Also it would be nice to be able to monitor (in the control room) an entire drum kit when tracking (with minimal mix playback) instead of just the first 8 channels without having to set up a sub mix. (just twist the "mixer" knob to taste.)

Also it takes a while for my 2nd firepod in the chain to sync. I usually have to boot everything up at least an hour before the session. The first one syncs right away. Any suggestions? The Presonus tech support forums don't get a lot of traffic so I thought somebody here might have an answer.

Yep...you can only monitor from the first Firepod, and that was always an issue for me when I tracked drums. It was one of the reasons I got rid of them, and if they've remedied that issue I'm not aware of it. Sync problems were never really a big deal for me, but I've heard of them being a big deal for other people.

Bottom line (as far as I know) is that if you're wanting to monitor more than nine channels at time during tracking, you'll need to find another interface solution.

Frank

Back