Anybody here ever use the "Reamp"?

flamin-gitaur

I've been reading a little bit about this little device (REAMP) and it seems to be a pretty cool peice of gear. I like the bit about how you can record at low volumes and then come back later and pump it up. So I was wondering if any of you have ever used this, and does it really work the way they claim?

I've reamp'd guitars and basses before, its a cool technique. I often run acoustic guitar straight into the recorder, with a mic on the instrument as well. If I want to thicken up the sound of it later, I will go back and run the DI channel out a sub-group on my board into my acoustic amp, mic it, and throw the mic on a new channel.

I've also done it with guitar before, when I was recording late at night, and didn't want to disturb anyone.... go back later, run that dry signal through the amp and mic it up, it sounds the same as though I had just sat down and played it. This is, of course, if you can get a veyr clean signal going into the recorder... if the sound coming back out into the amp has a lot of coloration and noise, etc., it won't sound good at all.

Often times I also end up DI'ing bass and leaving that as is, since a lot of the music I record is folk, and the bass often doesn't need to have very specialized tone (it just needs to sit in the back and provide low-end frequency support)

I use Little Labs Redeye... a bit more $, but more flexible.

yeah, it'll work as claimed. reamping is common. also take a DI during tracking, and reamp later if necessary.

Last edited:
Do you guys use the reamp more than you would just a mic and amp, or do you only use it for specific purposes? In other words, would this approach be practical to use all the time?

I never record guitar without grabbing a DI as well. I almost always re-amp distorted guitar. It is an invaluable tool.

I use it for-

Layering multiple amps or tones with a single performance

Replacing a tone that doesn't fit well in the mix

To get the tracking out of the way and worry about the tone later

It's also nice for retracking a comp'd guitar part.

I've been working with metal bands a lot that use crap amplifiers (line 6 etc...) and can see how reamping is the way to go, especially with layering guitar tracks.

Everybody list your favorite reamp toolz.

I myself am a fan of the Red Eye as well... I wouldn't say I use it over mic'ing, its just an excellent tool for blending and for fixing problems with others' work. I use it, as I said earlier (I think), to amp acoustic parts later if a blend of the DI and the mic isn't doin it for me. I use it on occassion with guitar, and it is nice to have that extra channel of completely unaltered playing, in case I want to change the tone of a guitar part later (without having to rerecord the part), but this is usually rare.

I've also used it when I recorded a guitar part that was clean, but the amp was producing a lot of hum that day... I have the odd situation where my amps normally sound perfectly fine in the house (split-floor apartments), but on occassion are extremely noisy (must be somethin the guy above or below me only runs infrequently). So, in that situation I will DI and record the amp too (just to get a feel for the tone), and then reamp later when everything is running hum-free.

I wouldn't say to use it all the time... as in, record all your parts DI to the board, and then setup the amp later to record, it just seems easier to do it all at the same time (run the guitar to both [DI -> board] and [straight to amp -> mics -> board]). However, you then have the option of later applying changes to that unaltered part, as we've said. It also depends on the number of tracks you have available. I run everything analog, with digital tape recorders, and I currently onl;y have 16 tracks available (soon to be 24). So, I will often record the guitar DI and then toss it later when I want to use the channel for something else... usually by that time I've gotten so used to having that certain recorded amp sound, that I want to just stick with it anyway. If it does become that much of a problem, I'll then re-record live.

Back