Anybody heard of Studio Monitor Headphones?

JLLFAN

I posted this question in Mixing/Mixing Down, but didn't get much of a response. Since I am a newbie, I thought I'd try again here. :) (BTW, How do you get those faces in the body of the message?)

Has anybody heard of Sony Studio Monitor Headphones? I was in Best BUy the other day and came across a pair for $30. They had a bigger pair (with a slightly greater frequency range) for $100.
Since I'm new to the whole recording thing and still living in my parents' basement (in my defense, I do have a good-paying full-time job and just graduated college), I don't want to invest in monitor speakers just yet. Anybody know if these headphones might be even a half-way decent substitute for monitor speakers, or at least an improvement over standard stereo speakers?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hey Fan Man:

If you're going to drop 100 bucks for headphones, try out the Beyer 250's before you buy AKG. But, of course, buy whatever sounds best in your ears.

Also, if you mixdown just using headphones, what you hear in the headphones is not what you will get in the mixdown because headphones are a super nice environment.

You will eventually need monitor speakers of one type or another so you can really hear what is happening. Of course, a good mixdown deck of one type or another will also a must. I still mix down to cassette tape but I'm using the Sony ES model deck and, although you can spend more $$$ for a deck, the ES models by Sony are pretty darned good. Then, there is DAT or whatever. I haven't gotten into a DAT yet but probably will someday.

Keep living at home; you can't beat the rent.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

Back