Anybody have/played a Matchless???

jvasey

I love guitar sound Johnny Hickman from Cracker gets, and he and Dave Lowery only used Matchless amps. They cost alot, and nobody anywhere around here ever stocks any. What I'd like, is to hear from anyone who has or had one. What model, how do you like it, and where can I get one?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Elderly sold them for a stretch but I understand they are no longer being made. I see a few used ones in Vintage Guitar mag ads, but they are pretty pricey. Guitar Player did a comparison a few years ago and said they had the best tone of any they tested.

titties up they go . . .

They may be out there trying to re-group. looking for capitol or just resting on their collective laurels . . .

DC 30

I have a DC 30.
Have had it for about 5 years, played over 400 live shows on it as well as recording and it's worked without a hitch.
The hype is really not bullshit on Matchless, but be sure it's what you want. My DC is pretty much a one-trick pony, but it's the one trick that I REALLY like.
It won't sound like a Mesa or any other high gain, wheedlie guitar amp. ( I like Mesa's, don't get me wrong )
hope this helped, and no, I don't work for Matchless

one more thing, we've had really good luck recording bass through an 8/10 cabinet pushed by an H/C 30 head.

Miker
Have you changed your tubes? If so what did you replace them with? What's your main guitar? I want one to play with my LP Studio, and LP Studio Gem (P90's).
Thanks,
Jeff

I have re-tubed it with Sovteks and new, old stock GEs ( I prefer the GEs but they're harder to find and more expensive ) My main guitar is a standard Strat, but I did have a Les Paul Special with P-90s in it , and it sounded GREAT ( sold it, cause it would never set-up/intonate right ). So, I think both your LPs would sound really good ( Tele's sound great with it too ). If it's what you're looking for, the Matchless is a great amp.

good luck!

Michael

Back