Anybody have a Lenovo T60?

ermghoti

I'm trying to set up a T60 (2.00 Centrino Core Duo, 2G ram, 100G/7200 HD), a MOTU 8 Pre, and Reaper in a casual/dual use environment. So far: I can record fine, plenty of power, but playback is sketchy. It works fine for a while, then will start "grumbling" by itself. After a while, the signal inside Reaper will instantly amplify explosively, probably +60dBFS, causing hideous nasal white noise. If I open the Audio options folder, it disappears... at first. Eventually, the signal bug is continuous. The Cuemix mixer from MOTU doesn't show the artifacts. I can turn down the master fader in Reaper once the noise starts permanently, but mixing with the fader at -70 is not optimal.

I disabled onboard sound and the network cards, shut down the AV and firewalls, and uninstalled the Symantec stuff entirely (I use AVG and Spybot). I also checked around the device manager, and it seems the mobo has a FW chip, but the port on the chassis is empty. I'm using a TI chipped FW/USB 2.0 Express card to connect. The MOTU audio driver originally showed up on the board's FW chip, so I disabled it, and re-installed the driver, but then it couldn't find the MOTU at all, so I re-enabled it. The driver is now listed under audio devices, but the performance is the same. I also tried disabling the USB port on the Express card, nada. ASIO4ALL driver didn't improve anything.

Gawd damn, that's a lot of processes for a computer with a fresh install! There must be seventy of 'em!

Any ideas?

Easy, there, not all at once.

So it ran fine for a couple hours tonight. I had saved a pre-routed blank project, as is my custom, to avoid wasting recording time setting up inputs and outputs. When I started opening menus, I started getting the artifacts/bugs. Why on Earth would opening a menu cause audio faults?

This is inaccurate. The artifacts do not show on the inputs of Cuemix, they do register in the output, as well as the output in Reaper.

It sounds like Reaper is causing this problem. The outputs in Cuemix should be showing basically what's coming in from the app. If this were caused by FireWire issues or anything like that, you shouldn't see it in Cuemix at all.

So it ran fine for a couple hours tonight. I had saved a pre-routed blank project, as is my custom, to avoid wasting recording time setting up inputs and outputs. When I started opening menus, I started getting the artifacts/bugs. Why on Earth would opening a menu cause audio faults?

Maybe your graphics drivers suck and are holding interrupts off for too long. That would be my first guess. See if there are new versions of the drivers for your graphics hardware.

There are no more recent drivers for XP Home/Fire GL 5200 than the one installed.

I was pretty confident the chaos is occurring withing Reaper, I'll keep hunting.

Back