Anybody else do this?

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
On my Strat, I flipped the metal piece that holds the output jack so that now it's an "outie" instead of an "innie" (it still points away from the pickups, of course). Now I can easily grab the plug itself when I disconnect the cord from the guitar instead of pulling on the cable.

Fenderville said:
I have never done that and am not sure what the benefit would be?

My Strat gets a really tight hold on the tip of the plug, and when it was an "innie" I once pulled a cable out of the plug. Maybe I've got fat fingers, but on a normally configured Strat, I pretty much have to tug on the wire to get it unplugged; unplugging by pulling on the cable rather than on the plug is not good for guitar cables, and flipping the housing lets you get a good grip on the plug.

It's really easy to do (and undo if you don't like it). Just take out the two wood screws that hold the jack housing on and unscrew the jack from it. Flip the housing over, reinstall the jack from the other side, and put the now convex housing over the hole and reinstall the wood screws.

It looks fine; the jack housing is chromed on both sides.

i've never thought about it, but it sounds like a good idea, if you think you're damaging your leads/guitar by pulling on the wire, rather than the actual plug.

i bet it looks cool, too :rolleyes: :p

Andy

Sounds good, you got a pic of it?, just curious to see what the finished result is like.

- Idgeit

Idgeit said:
Sounds good, you got a pic of it?, just curious to see what the finished result is like.

- Idgeit

Yeah, I too would appreciate a picture. I cannot for the life of me visualize what you guys are talking about.

gibsonguy09 said:
i tinh i might have to try that with my strat. IS any soddering(exuse my spelling) required?

No, no soldering. Just unscrew the nut that holds the jack to the housing, take out the two wood screws that hold the housing onto the body (actually, I think it would be easier to remove the screws first), flip the housing, put the jack back in, put the screws back in. Two minutes, max, if you've got a socket to fit the jack nut. If you don't like it, it's another two minutes to switch it back; nothing is permanently changed in any way. The housing is plated on all surfaces, so it changes the look of the guitar almost not at all.

The flipping of the housing is simple; if I'm visualizing it right, it's end over end. It ends up protruding from the body of the guitar rather than being recessed, but with the jack (of course) still pointing away from the pickups at the same angle as before. The advantage I've found is that in this configuration, I can get hold of the plug at the base right where it goes into the jack; it's why I did it.

The only thing to be careful of is that the hot prong of the jack (the part that grabs the tip of the plug) or the hot solder lug of the jack isn't touching the housing when you reinstall the jack, or you'll get no sound. I may have had to bend the lug a little.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of it tonight and post it. It took longer to write this than it does to do the "mod".

My first electric (1999 samick) had this I loved it. Unfortunatley all the children made fun of my for it so I tried to change it one night I also thaught the pickups and the tremelo needed a little fixing, long story short.

1. lost screws
2. sinking pickups
3. Input jack loose
4. tremelo managed ok.
5. Got dad to help fix it with me
6. I Purchased LTD m-100
7.Samick now lives in wardrobe

I was thinking of the wrong type of jack. Now it all makes sense.

I suppose it would look kinda groovy.

Last edited:
Back