Anybody changed the tube in their T3?

Bodhisan

Hillbilly
I'd like to just for the heck of it. Is it as simple as opening up the box and there it'll be? Changing out in the VTB-1 was involved, but easy. I was going to post this on the PMI forum, but can't get in...

wrong forum?...

...you really should ask this question on the PMI Audio Forum (just to see what Alan and his crew would recommend), but since you asked here I'll give you the heads up...first, the tube is in the mic (unscrew the base and slide the body casing down carefully), not in the (power source) box...and if you want to upgrade the stock Russian/Chinese tube, here's the link to one of the best of the 6072 NOS vintage tubes:

http://vacuumtubeaudio.com/item219.htm

...don't expect a big change, but in my experience the vintage tubes can "smooth out" the upper and lower end of the mic's range...but it's all pretty subjective...

It is an interesting question and this forum is fine to post it in as the question was a general one aimed at anyone who may have tried this and not specificly asking for advice.

Bod, funny how the PMI site disappeared within approx., 24 hours of RO admin having a little rant there..............it would have to be a coincidence, surely.

Bummer

Oh crap... I hope that doesn't mean it's coming back here again. :(

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I just ordered a bunch of NOS tubes for my tube pre and mics. I get them next week, so I'll report back after a week or two after I have had a chance to use them. I'm getting a Valvo 12AX7 and Telefunken 12AU7 for my CAD VX2 mic, a Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 for the ADK A-48, and matched pairs of Mullard 12AX7 longplates and Amperex white PQ 6922 for the Pendulum Audio MDP-1a preamp.

DJL said:
Oh crap... I hope that doesn't mean it's coming back here again. :(
Yes, I believe that the PMI site has been closed down, and dragon has invited Alan to set up shop here. He'll be the moderator of the mic forum, and the PMI stuff will be in the Ads section of hr.com.

I think they're going to appoint him mayor of a certain southern California municipality also, where he's agreed to run any anonymous trolls out of town.

Back